Talk

Advanced search

How negotiable are rents these days?

(11 Posts)
fruitstick Wed 09-Sep-09 17:39:23

Our property woes continue and we are looking for a new place to rent.

We took on the place we are in now 6 months ago and knocked £40 a month of the rent (£1,000 per month).

Trouble is the places on the market at the moment for the same money seem tiny by comparison.

Surely rents haven't gone up in the last 6 months? How negotiable can you be do you think?

scaryteacher Wed 09-Sep-09 17:55:26

Depends on what the landlord has to cover in the way of costs.

JeMeSouviens Wed 09-Sep-09 17:59:18

We accepted 200 quid/mth less than we needed to cover costs as we knew we were getting a very good tenant. So it can happen.

saltyseadog Wed 09-Sep-09 18:14:21

We knocked £100 off our current rental (£1450 to £1350) the lease started two months ago so pretty recent.

I think it pays to 'scale up' when looking at property (to buy or rent), as most people will be open to offers.

HerHonesty Wed 09-Sep-09 19:53:50

depends on the area. i've just put mine up £50. and could have still filled the place 5 times over.

fruitstick Wed 09-Sep-09 19:58:58

Herhonesty & Souviens - whereabouts are you?

HerHonesty Wed 09-Sep-09 20:03:37

london.

fruitstick Wed 09-Sep-09 22:10:24

thanks honesty, we are in the West Midlands so hopefully rents are a bit more flexible smile

JeMeSouviens Fri 11-Sep-09 20:04:49

in the north, all the best with your search

fridayschild Sat 12-Sep-09 07:59:39

The property trade press think rents are rising - buy to let landlords forced to sell by their mortgage companies, so less stock available.

ABetaDad Sat 12-Sep-09 09:06:10

Rents are falling and have been doing so for the last year. It is nonsense that letting agents are putting about that rents are rising. They are not. Indeed, in London they are collapsing.

Demand at least 12 months tenancy with no break clause on either your side or the landlords side. Landlords like to be sure they wil get a tenant for at least 12 months. Do not go for a 6 month tenancy as they is likely to be a nervous landlord looking to sell in the Spring or an agent just looking for a renewal fee every 6 moths. Keep making lots and lots of offers and see who bites is my best advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now