Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know if building regs allow you to turn a bathroom door around so it opens into a hall, rather than into the bathroom?

(11 Posts)
peasoup Wed 09-Sep-09 12:01:38

Our upstairs bathroom is such an awkward weird shape- almost a wedge like a chunk of cheese. Not able to change the shape of it or expand it, but want to put in new shower bath, sink, loo. It would make SO much difference if the door didn't open inwards. As it is you have to open the door and squeeze past the sink to get in. Will they let us turn the door round so it opens into the hall? It isn't a tiny hall, so it's not going to knock anyone flying down the stairs if it opens into the hall for example, LOL, but wondered if they had regs about these things. Don't really want to ask the regs dept just yet as they are not very nice people! (the ones in our council anyway)

freyasyummymummy Wed 09-Sep-09 12:06:57

We did this - no building regs needed and it's really simple to do! makes a huge difference to the amount of useable space!

ComeOVeneer Wed 09-Sep-09 12:09:05

I may be dim, but if it is your house surely you can do what you like internally?

GooseyLoosey Wed 09-Sep-09 12:10:11

We have a loo where the door does this as otherwise you could not get in.

runnyhabbit Wed 09-Sep-09 12:12:04

Not sure if it's the same, but we did it with our kitchen door, and didn't need to tell anyone.

(used to work for a design/architectural company, so was able to pick their brainsgrin)

LadyStealthPolarBear Wed 09-Sep-09 12:13:17

i'm sure you can - our en suite does this. The 'designers' had it opening inwards, but we didn't see the point - open into a tiny room to clash with the shower door, or open into our large bedroom hmm. And thinking about it I'm 9 months pregnant, wonder if I would ahve been able to get out if the door opened inwards?

peasoup Wed 09-Sep-09 12:17:59

Yippee!
I hope you're right as this would make the arguments between me and DH stop! (Well, this particular argument about the bathroom door, anyway)grin

noddyholder Wed 09-Sep-09 19:01:19

I have done this in all the houses I renovate as you can make a much better bathroom if you step into it that way,no building regs required.

peasoup Wed 09-Sep-09 19:15:01

Great, thank you so much everyone. Because it seemed like such a great solution to our bathroom space problem I just felt certain it wouldn't be allowed somehow!! (pessimist emoticon)

alypaly Wed 09-Sep-09 19:17:53

its fine ,i've done it with a kitchen and bathroom door

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 09-Sep-09 20:08:28

Absolutely fine. Doors usually face inwards due to taking up space in hallways which are narrow, rather than due to any legality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now