Talk

Advanced search

Cost of double glazed bay windows

(9 Posts)
kitsmummy Tue 08-Sep-09 12:47:17

We've got a couple of companies coming round this week to quote for new double glazing in upstairs and downstairs bay windows. Each bay has three fairly large windows (about 2 metres high each). Could those who have had it done give me an indication of what sort of price they've paid, as I understand double glazing is the type of industry where they quote sky high prices that you really have to haggle down? Also, we'll be getting quotes for regular and sash windows, so experience of either type is appreciated, thanks smile

cassell Tue 08-Sep-09 18:45:05

Depends a lot on exactly what you are having done - we have wooden sash windows in the bay and had double glazing & draughtproofing put into the existing frames earlier this year. This was supposed to cost a total of c£1600 for the 3 windows (with a 15% discount on the list price) but ended up costing c£2500 because when they took out the windows they discovered that there was a lot of rotten wood in the boxes & cils which needed replacing. However if we had had full new windows rather than using the existing frames I think it would have been nearer £3-4k for the bay (that is replacement wooden sashs in the original style though - no idea about upvc)

Certainly haggle! Always worth a try grin

Fizzylemonade Tue 08-Sep-09 22:42:26

I haven't used this company myself but I used it as a guide to work out how much it would be to double glaze a house we went to view.

www.doubleglazingontheweb.co.uk/home.aspx

They say for bay windows you calculate each panel as an individual window, but there are some very good reviews about them as a company.

kitsmummy Wed 09-Sep-09 08:40:51

Thanks both, will do some research

Avenger Sat 26-Sep-09 00:22:36

I have got Everest to quote against two local firms. Everest's original quote fell by a massive 65% for the same quality, A rating. (Thanks for reminding me to check the contract that it specifies A rating.)
Salesmen I assume are trained to give the list price, they then say you get this discount for that, and a discount for this, and so on. However it is a discount on a discount so the discount gets progressively smaller.
Get a quote from them and know that they will easily come down by 65% and you may even try and get more but get other firms in and ask for their best price. Do not sign until you have really made your mind up and seen at least three firms, ideally a minimum of five.

fatjac Sat 26-Sep-09 09:08:38

If you can I would try and keep the original sash windows and look into getting them double glazed.

We live in a Victorian semi and had the original windows overhauled including replacing most of the wood and fitting special draught excluders. DH actually did most of the work himself so I cant really say how much this cost but the materials weren't that expensive. We didn't go for double glazing but I know you can get special thin units fitted into your sashes. These weren't readily avaliable when were looking.

The house next door was doublglazed (white upvc) about 12 years ago and looks really bad. My neighbour hates it and they have a lot of problems with damp as the doubleglazing doesn't allow the stone walls to breathe properly or something.

Ours have been done for about 8 years now and still look fantastic though they will need repainting in the next year or so. Next doors have started to look a bit grey and I think they have had problems with the seals breaking.

We were also told that our house was worth more and definately more saleable due to the original features.

Emma2228 Wed 18-Jan-12 16:55:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Panadbois Wed 18-Jan-12 17:11:40

Hi Emma, where did you find this old thread? smile

We're looking for new windows too, and have had three quotes. Can't tell you how much for a bay as they've not listed priced. What I can tell you is that they see a bay window (mine anyway) as three windows. So usually one window sells at £200 - £300 each.

We've had three local business here, and no sales talk grin

maxthornton Mon 02-Feb-15 10:28:09

Has anyone used Scotland uPVC to get bay windows prices? I found this page and wondered if anyone has found them to be a reputable company? - www.scotlandupvc.com/windows/bay/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: