Talk

Advanced search

Anyone asked more before exchanging?

(48 Posts)
HouseHunting Mon 07-Sep-09 14:17:00

We sold our house in early May & since then houses similar to ours are flying off the market at a higher price & mostly above asking price. We are due to exchange in 2-3 weeks time & DH is thinking we should ask our buyers for more money to reflect the rise in the market. I am feeling uneasy about this as I would hate for it to happen to me if I was a buyer - but then again I do understand DH's point in that we would get up to £20k more if we put our house back on the market should our buyers refuse. Ho hum I am feeling stressed!

HouseHunting Mon 07-Sep-09 14:18:04

BTW I am not saying we would put our house back on the market - I am just looking for advice. Thanks

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 07-Sep-09 14:18:17

A bird in the hand and all that.

I think it is an awful thing to do tbh.

Your decision though.

said Mon 07-Sep-09 14:19:46

"I am feeling uneasy about this as I would hate for it to happen to me if I was a buyer". I think you shoudl stick with your gut feeling. You were happy with teh price when agreed

HouseHunting Mon 07-Sep-09 14:24:23

Yeah i do feel bad about it tbh. DH is the financial person in our relationship (he is an accountant) & he keeps saying that house prices are increasing around here & we will move into rented & the market will go up & we will be £££ out when we try to buy a house. But I do think we got a good price for our house so I need to work my magic & bring DH round to my way of thinking. I can't cope with even more stress! Our buyers were very slow at first but now are pushing to exchange so they must be committed. Thansk

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 07-Sep-09 14:30:22

If prices are going up why on earth are you renting now as it will only get more expensive?

claricebeansmum Mon 07-Sep-09 14:32:27

Be prepared for your buyer to walk away because that is exactly what we did about a year ago on a stunning house when the vendors started messing us about. It took them 8 months to get another buyer.

HouseHunting Mon 07-Sep-09 14:33:49

We haven't found a house to buy. In my area 3/4 houses are in short supply & go very quickly - we have offered on 2 houses but lost out as the OP were in rented. Wish we could find a house to avoid going into rented

Dophus Mon 07-Sep-09 14:35:21

Come buy mine. Just found the house we want but ours hasn't shifted ...

susie100 Mon 07-Sep-09 14:35:48

I sympathise, this has happened to us - sold our flat in April and we could have got £20/30k more now and the houses we like have gone up £100k!

We decided not to pull out/ask for more because we had a cash buyer who was going to give us 6 months to complete. That was worth the cash for us as we have a slightly dodgy roof garden that anyone having to get a mortgage would have probs with.

If these buyers are not offering any advantages and you are in an area with a lot of buyers I would ask for more or re-market. Its not nice but if the market has moved on then you won't be able to buy your next house without the extra cash.

swingsofglory Mon 07-Sep-09 14:41:05

This happened to us a few years ago. We were about to exchange then the seller asked for an extra £25K. We told her to f* off and bought somewhere else.

I think it's a really horrible thing to do.

DaisymooSteiner Mon 07-Sep-09 14:45:04

If your dh is worried about the market rising and you're moving into rented, perhaps you ought to wait until you find a house before selling yours? Although, I'm not at all convinced that prices will continue to move upward...

HouseHunting Mon 07-Sep-09 14:45:25

Dophus - hope you fins a buyer quickly
That's it susie, we are worried about not being able to afford a bigger house & the additional cash would come in handy. I guess we could ask for an extended completion date from exchange as that would give us longer to find a house & hopefully avoid going into rented - we would then save money as our mortgage term has come to an end so we are paying a very low interest rate if 2.5% as opposed to over 5% which is £500 less than what we would pay in rent.

DaisymooSteiner Mon 07-Sep-09 14:45:50

If your dh is worried about the market rising and you're moving into rented, perhaps you ought to wait until you find a house before selling yours? Although, I'm not at all convinced that prices will continue to move upward...

HouseHunting Mon 07-Sep-09 14:46:33

Daisymoo - in my area Vendors will not look at an offer unless you have sold.

susie100 Mon 07-Sep-09 14:49:56

Yes same here, they won't consider your offer.

What does your agent think? Remember they act for you and should be advising you as to whether or not the market has moved on and they have other people who would offer you more money.

DaisymooSteiner Mon 07-Sep-09 14:50:11

I'd ask for an extension on the completion date then.

SomeGuy Mon 07-Sep-09 14:50:43

Disgusting thing to do.

susie100 Mon 07-Sep-09 14:51:05

We also worked out that extended completion was worth thousands to us in terms of rent (four times our mortgage!) and moving costs.

HouseHunting Mon 07-Sep-09 14:57:07

EA has said he has potentail buyers lined up for our kind of property & he has no houses on his books as they are being snapped up at above the asking price.

I get why people think it is disgusting but then again buyers do try to knock off money too just before exchange. I wouldn'nt entertain the idea if I thought the reasons weren't justified - but I still do not think I could do it!!

SomeGuy Mon 07-Sep-09 15:10:37

A different estate agent says that?

They are lying blood-sucking scumbags.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 07-Sep-09 15:15:47

If I was moving into rented and wasn't fussed about selling I would re-market the property at the higher/current market value.

If I was in a chain and was benefitting further up the chain from an also-reduced price from a few months ago then it wouldn't bother me.

I would also consider refunding the money the prospective buyers have spent on a survey.

shopalot Mon 07-Sep-09 15:20:06

Someone did this to us at the last minute and we pulled out of the sale out of principal. The house was still on the market a year later and we found somewhere better. A risk you would have to take.

stressed2007 Mon 07-Sep-09 15:22:27

If the market has moved up that much I would ask for more.

We have tried to do the right thing eveytime we have moved and have been taken advanatge of etc.

People are generally not nice when it comes to house buying/selling there is just too much at stake.

ShowOfHands Mon 07-Sep-09 15:26:38

Somebody did it to us. We pulled out as we figured if he could do that just before completion then we wondered what else he would do. He failed to sell and a year later took it off the market.

It's a crappy thing to do to a fellow human being.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now