Talk

Advanced search

how much would you/did you spend on carpeting a hallway?

(7 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 05-Sep-09 16:17:31

using sisal/hessian similar carpet with underlay.

How many stairs did that include? upstairs and downstairs or just one level? what was the price per sq/m? what was the total price?

Just trying to gauge how much it is going to cost us to carpet.

Rollmops Sat 05-Sep-09 17:56:11

I could have asked that question smile.
Have seen websites selling the sisal-jute-seagrass etc. for as little as £9 m2 ex VAT but wondering about the fitting cost? We have rubber underlay (at leat it was on the downstairs hallway where we ripped up the hideous carpet) and it seemed in a good condition. Do we need to change that to a different underlay?
Which one of the natural carpeting options is the best, most durable and comfortable underfoot as well?
Thanks in advance!

Pannacotta Sun 06-Sep-09 21:04:56

NAtural floorings arent recommended I think for halls and stairs as they are hard to clean and are too slippery for stairs.
You would be better off getting a wool mix.
No reason to put in new underlay if the old one is decent, will save you quite a bit.

[[http://www.alternativeflooring.com/flooring/faq.asp#2]

Pannacotta Sun 06-Sep-09 21:07:34

www.alternativeflooring.com/flooring/faq.asp#2 even

Hard to comment on price as it really depends on size of hall/no of stairs etc, but we spent around £850 on last house but that was stairs/landing only, wool mix with bound edges (we had a stair runner) and new underlay.

Rollmops Mon 07-Sep-09 12:55:36

Thank you, Pannacotta, much appreciated!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 07-Sep-09 23:31:02

pannacotta shock oh bugger, best go revise my budget a little grin.

So, wool mix, plus lots of money is what I am needing...

<picks herself up off the floor and goes to look at carpet website>

Pannacotta Tue 08-Sep-09 09:00:50

Wool mix is often cheaper Pavlov if you shop around (try small, local indepenent shops rather than chains). We recently had some put in and it was around £12m (minus underlay and fitting) but am pretty sure that is less than natural floorings...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now