Talk

Advanced search

Using two paint colours in a room

(10 Posts)
MissAnnesley Sat 05-Sep-09 12:55:21

I am thinking of using two shades of green for a small boy's room. It's smallish room but he's a small boy so not that concerned about ways to make it appear spacious etc but what are the "rules" re. using 2 colours on four walls? Three of one, one of the other? Half and half would look odd I think. We have one window wall opposite one door wall (long sides) and two short walls iyswim.

CybilLiberty Sat 05-Sep-09 12:56:53

I would paint it all one shade, the paler the better.

MissAnnesley Sat 05-Sep-09 12:58:37

The colours I am looking at btw are Farrow and Ball Tunsgate Green and Folly Green, I won't bother linking to the site as they look v. different in real life but one is a v. pale appleflesh sort of green, the other a more robust dusty appley greyey green hard to describe but v pretty

carelesswhispers Sat 05-Sep-09 13:26:03

hi missannesley , we have just redecorated ds (10) room in 2 shades of green & it looks fab , we have used apple green On 2 walls & a sage green on the other 2 walls , ds sleeps in a box bedroom ( the smallest bedroom in the house) & the 2 greens make the room look bigger smile we got very pale cream curtains & light shade & duvets to finish it off .

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 05-Sep-09 13:30:26

Don't think there should be rules for a kids bedroom.

My 2 boys have a room each and both have light blue on two walls and darker blue on te other two.

Looks fab.

Rosesinautumn Sat 05-Sep-09 13:37:15

My Ds's room is two tone green (dulux English mist if I recall)and I think it works well and have had lots of nice comments about it. Their room is quite small and is sort of an L shape...ish (hard to describe really) but basically I painted the 2 large walls in the lighter green and the window wall and the other 'stepped' wall in the darker shade. Depending on where your going to put furniture etc it might be nice to have one feature wall in the darker colour which you could then put pictures on (I finished mine with a selection of jungle stickers from walls of the wild - a bit expensive but look great).

MissAnnesley Sat 05-Sep-09 13:39:22

I don't exactly mean "rules" but you know things like a dark colour on the wall facing the door makes the room appear tiny or something - those sort of visual rules I mean.

To both of you who have used 2 shades what way do you have them?

And Cybil do you say that just because you don't think 2 colours a good idea or because you think green will be too strong?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 05-Sep-09 14:02:29

I have mine every other wall.

carelesswhispers Sat 05-Sep-09 14:11:22

ok we have the lighter green on the two longer walls & the darker green is on the wall that the window is on & facing this wall also where the door is , iykwim .
my sister loved it so much she has copied it & done her two dc's rooms the same smile

MissAnnesley Sat 05-Sep-09 16:48:06

Well must have been gorgeous then carelessw.

I am thinking of doing the darker shade on the wall facing the window, the door wall, so you wouldn't see it till you came in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now