Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend nice cheap building and contents insurance

(14 Posts)
lynniep Tue 01-Sep-09 16:03:26

Just wondered if anyone has some recommendations off the top of their head.

I've used the usual comparison sites (gocompare, comparethemarket, confused.com) and whilst these give me a good idea, there's always a mahoosive list of sites at the end that cannot give me a quote based on the details I've provided.

I really can't be ar*ed to check each and every one to see if I'm getting a better deal (have done this for a couple via quidco e.g. more than and asda)

At the moment my best quotes for my needs that come up in these comparisons are from a place called homeinsurer.co.uk and sheilas wheels (which I used last year)

I know it really really varies depending on what you need which is why I'm just asking in general terms if there is anyone 'outstanding' out there?!!

ScaredOfCows Tue 01-Sep-09 17:02:35

Swinton gave us the cheapest quote recently

randomtask Tue 01-Sep-09 17:16:18

Legal and General. We took out life insurance with them too and got £20 for our loyalty (they were also the cheapest by far)...

lynniep Tue 01-Sep-09 17:18:22

thanks - will check those out!

TheHappyCamper Tue 01-Sep-09 19:09:21

Sainsbury's have been amazingly cheap for us the last 2 years (online)

babster Tue 01-Sep-09 19:22:46

I got the best quote recently from Aviva - also got £70 cashback through Topcashback, result!

Hormonesnomore Tue 01-Sep-09 19:28:03

Halifax is very reasonable - the sum insured is unlimited & they give £50 back each year on renewal.

RubyBlueberry Tue 01-Sep-09 20:15:41

Anybody know where to look to get insurance for one month only? Or where on the website it says what the cancellation charges would be!

lynniep Wed 02-Sep-09 12:31:33

oh good idea - Sainsburys - was going to check that out and forgot.

Have tried Halifax and Aviva but too expensive (actually Aviva not bad with cashback but more than, erm More Than!)

spicemonster Thu 03-Sep-09 15:08:30

Liverpool Victoria have been brilliant for me - reasonable and very good at paying out

RubyBlueberry Sun 06-Sep-09 20:02:05

Direct Line - bargain! £50 for a year contents, waaaay cheaper than hundreds of others smile

cahu Sun 06-Sep-09 22:28:38

I use Morethan for building insurance and got the contents insurance free. Have had quotes and no one has been able to match it.

mrspnut Sun 06-Sep-09 22:36:38

We're with Privilege which is part of direct line and have recently had to claim following a burglary. They have been fantastic, the claim has been fully settled in under 4 weeks and apart from doing a bit of chasing up I can't complain at all.

We also live in a non standard property which pushes our buildings cover up so they were one of the cheaper quotes for us.

seb1 Sun 06-Sep-09 22:57:48

ING direct are reasonable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now