Talk

Advanced search

advice please

(10 Posts)
niya Tue 01-Sep-09 08:31:29

Morning,
I am unsure what to do?
Do we have to pay the last rent or the landlord can use the deposit? We have to call him today and give notice that we are moving on the end of this month? Any advice?

Rindercella Tue 01-Sep-09 08:33:19

You should check your contract, but I would say that you have to pay the last month's rent. The deposit should then be paid back to you when landlord is satisfied all is ok with his property.

FlamingoBingo Tue 01-Sep-09 08:33:52

It's up to him, but the deposit is to pay for anything wrong that you've caused over and above normal wear and tear, so most landlords would prefer to keep hold of it until they've done their final inspection.

PestoSurfMonster Tue 01-Sep-09 08:34:59

You have to pay the last month's rent as per your contract.

LIZS Tue 01-Sep-09 08:37:35

Deposit should be ringfenced in a specific account as security against damages so you need to pay the last rent installment

niya Tue 01-Sep-09 08:49:18

The contract say nothing, gas and electricity are on prepay meter, and also they come regular for some reasons and go around the house. I am just not sure if they are going to give us the deposit.

niya Tue 01-Sep-09 08:52:42

Thanks for the responses.

ABetaDad Tue 01-Sep-09 09:05:30

You have to pay the last months rent and not use the deposit. Also make sure you get your notice period right otherwise you will end up having to run the lease on to the next month.

Most private tenancies signed after 6 April 2007 should have had the deposit put in a www.direct.gov.uk/en/TenancyDeposit/index.htm. They must do this by law and if your landlord or agent has not protected your deposit, they will be ordered to repay three times the amount of the deposit to you.

ABetaDad Tue 01-Sep-09 09:09:15

That link is about Tenancy Deposit Protection and almost all private landlords (with some exceptions) must put your deposit in one of the various schemes available.

niya Tue 01-Sep-09 11:00:05

Thanks ABetadad, that is new for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now