Talk

Advanced search

Tired looking houses

(14 Posts)
HouseHunting Sun 30-Aug-09 23:36:16

We are thinking of going to view a house that is in a good location but all of the houses exterior look a bit tired. Do you think, say, we bought the house & did it up inside & out that it would encourage the neighbours to follow suit? I want to drive home & be proud of my home/street but the other houses feel a bit drab. What do you think?

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 30-Aug-09 23:39:39

Message withdrawn

spookycharlotte121 Sun 30-Aug-09 23:41:15

well you can only try cant you. I would go and look at the house before you make any definate decisions.

Hopefully if you improve the appearance of the exterior of your house, others will follow.

GirlsAreLoud Sun 30-Aug-09 23:42:09

What's with the hmm reality?

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 30-Aug-09 23:44:08

Message withdrawn

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 30-Aug-09 23:46:11

I don't think people will go "Oh look, they've spent a fortune on their house, why didn't we think of that".

Heated Sun 30-Aug-09 23:50:18

See, they'll be seriously rich, hence the shabby chic exteriors. They'll think you are very nouveau with your decking and faux shutters grin

On the other hand, urban regeneration has to start somewhere!

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 30-Aug-09 23:51:33

Message withdrawn

midlandsmumof4 Mon 31-Aug-09 00:29:35

There's a saying when buying a house. 'Better to buy the worst house in a good street than the best house in the worst! smile.

ravenAK Mon 31-Aug-09 00:55:10

We've just bought the worst house (was previously bedsits) in rather a nice street.

The neighbours are delighted to have a family move in, & we will get to sprucing up the exterior, & front garden, as soon as we've done the essentials inside.

Because, to be fair, the front garden is decidedly overgrown & could do with whipping in to line.

Do I think that if I suddenly 'did it up' to some notional incomers' standard then it would 'encourage the neighbours to follow suit'?

No. Why on earth should they?

Frankly, if other houses in the street look a bit tired, you might be able to get a bargain - possibly not much moving on the market.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 31-Aug-09 01:01:44

Are the neighbours nice people? worth far more than a lick of paint.

HouseHunting Mon 31-Aug-09 13:47:26

I'm not talking about mega bucks - just a lick of paint on the windows & garage doors. Apart from the shabby paintwork on the houses, the area does look nicely kept with tidy drives & gardens. Just wondered what your thoughts were. Thanks

HerHonesty Mon 31-Aug-09 18:03:09

if they havent done so now, they are not going to when you do. tbh if it is ALL drab you have to ask yourself why... is it really that nice an area?

HouseHunting Mon 31-Aug-09 20:22:15

Good point. It is a nice area, quiet but still walkable into town & in the catchment area of all the good primary/secondary schools. The tree-lined street is lovely but it is the houses that are disappointing & need a lick of paint. Mmmm. Questins to ask the EA before we decide to view or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now