Talk

Advanced search

double glazed sash windows or suggestions for non minging alternative?

(5 Posts)
Thandeka Wed 26-Aug-09 08:40:29

We have just offered on a lovely house on a nice street that is just off a busy road. Noise levels seem fine but may be an idea to get double glazing at front of house to reduce noise further. House has original sash windows that need a little bit of attention.

I much prefer sash windows to hideous UPVC. But then double glazed sash windows seem extortionate.

Any ideas for cheaper but non hideous good looking alternatives?

violethill Wed 26-Aug-09 08:57:13

Check out the price difference between hardwood double glazed sash windows, and hardwood double glazed windows which have the same proportions as sash, but have top half opening outwards in the more modern way (IYSWIM)

We had windows made like this once - similar situation but didn't want to replace with sash windows as kids were very young and I imagined them hoiking the window up and falling out!

The important thing is keeping the proportions right. A modern window would have the top opening section as about one third of the window and the bottom static section two thirds. You don't want that in an old house, you want half and half. The windows will then look like sash ones.

Ours weren't cheap - I don't think there is a cheap option if you want to avoid anything yucky. But it may be cheaper than getting sash windows made up. I;m not entirely sure as we never costed sash replacements because of the safety issue.

Thandeka Wed 26-Aug-09 09:01:51

Thats a good tip ta- have a little one on the way so will have to get into baby proofing!

puffylovett Wed 26-Aug-09 11:55:46

am sure there are companies that also will double glaze your existing windows, but it can be an expensive option I think ?

Thandeka Thu 27-Aug-09 08:35:48

yeah guess when we eventually move in we will have to get some quotes in.

The joys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now