Talk

Advanced search

Village/towns in East Sussex - good/bad/ugly

(13 Posts)
ALWgreenwich Wed 26-Aug-09 00:09:54

hi - we're looking to move out of SE London and we're eyeing up East Sussex, only we don't know the area at all. I was wondering if anyone knows of big villages/towns in the area - we have a 3 year old and a 2 year old so family-size house + good state schools are a must, we won't need to commute into London every day so doesn't have to be on direct train line. Interested in any opinions/experience on Lewes, Ringmer, Battle, Hailsham, Polegate and surrounding villages. Thought i'd canvas opinion as doing day-trips to sight-see is hard work with squabbling siblings in the back seat!
Grateful for any tips on the good, the bad and the ugly!

TeamEdward Wed 26-Aug-09 00:16:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeamEdward Wed 26-Aug-09 00:20:10

saintmaybe Wed 26-Aug-09 00:52:46

We're near Lewes, and like it. Lots of good primaries round here. Ringmer's fine.

we came from brighton, and I prefer to have that as my nearest 'big place' rather than Eastbourne, eg.

ALWgreenwich Sun 30-Aug-09 22:13:37

thanks all for your postings, Team Edward our budget is i think around £450k tops. Will get the maps out! thanks again

JessieDog Sun 30-Aug-09 22:20:22

Seaford is nice.

Loads of primary schools, only one secondary which is average but improving.

You'd get a nice place for 450k in seaford.

hailsham and polegate are horrible

TeamEdward Sun 30-Aug-09 22:25:16

TeamEdward Sun 30-Aug-09 22:27:08

TeamEdward Sun 30-Aug-09 22:34:52

paisleyleaf Mon 31-Aug-09 00:03:27

My favourite would be around Battle, Sedlescombe and Crowhurst
I really like Hastings as a near big town.

KarenG Mon 07-Sep-09 23:45:01

I live in Brighton, and would consider living in Lewes, possibly Ringmer, Robertsbridge, Old Heathfield, Battle. I definitely wouldn't live in Polegate, Hailsham or Newhaven. The advantage of the first two is the proximity of Brighton. If you fancy a village fairly close to Brighton but not too expensive how about Plumpton?

ALWgreenwich Sun 18-Oct-09 23:39:05

hi - thanks for all the postings, we've narrowed it down to somewhere between Lewes, Hassocks and Uckfield. I'd be grateful for any opinions on Ringmer, Plumpton, Barcombe and Keymer...we're going to at least try out village-life by renting first and wondered if anyone has any experience/opinion on these places that can't be gleaned when whizzing round on a Saturday afternoon with 2 bored toddlers?!
Also - does anyone know how much childminders charge in E Sussex? Just wondered what the going-rate is...
thanks very much for all assistance!

poppyandmax Mon 19-Oct-09 18:28:31

I've got a friend who lives in Keymer, primary schools are oversubscribed and there is new housing being built in Hassocks that will stretch the schools even more. There is a good secondary school in Hassocks. Keymer is mostly bungalows so has an older population. Hassocks High St is ok, seems to have most things you would need, and it is only a short train or bus trip into Brighton.

I have been to Barcombe a couple of times and it is quite out of the way and in the middle of nowhere.

Have you considered Lindfield or Cuckfield? Slightly further in, but both on the edges of Haywards Heath, or Ardingly or even Chailey?

Unless you are considering private education, I think you should bear in mind that you will be applying for a primary place this time next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now