Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

window won't close - who should I call/what should I do

(10 Posts)
ConstantlyCooking Tue 25-Aug-09 18:36:04

A window in our house won't close. it was fine yesterday morning, but last night it seemed to be slightly out of alignment and so won't close. Do i need a builder or a carpenter or does anyone have any ideas for a DIY fix?

spicemonster Tue 25-Aug-09 18:41:47

Is it wood framed?

MrsBadger Tue 25-Aug-09 18:51:24

new or old house?

wood framed or dg?

ConstantlyCooking Wed 26-Aug-09 22:54:47

Thanks for responses - sorry I am late getting back to you. Have been busy helping new AP to settle in.
The house is new(approx 10 years) and the frame is wooden and double-glazed.
The problem is possibly with the hinges rather than the frame - the window pushes out with extending hinges IYKWIM.

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Wed 26-Aug-09 22:56:53

Mine does this, if it's a ground floor window then go outside, push it upwards as you close it and this should do the trick. You can't do this if it's an upstairs window without a ladder, you need to replace the hinge.

ConstantlyCooking Thu 27-Aug-09 08:40:56

Thanks Fluffy - will try that later (currently sitting at PC in pink fluffy dressing gown!)

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Thu 27-Aug-09 19:22:10

grin

Hope it helps.

ConstantlyCooking Sun 30-Aug-09 23:33:50

Hi, have tried pushing it upwards but this has not helped. The window closes but the catch is out of alignment to close it properly. Hmmmmm hmm

midlandsmumof4 Mon 31-Aug-09 01:04:23

Can you re-aligne the window by moving the catch?

ConstantlyCooking Mon 31-Aug-09 22:26:37

We could, but in that case I would probaly try to take the window out and re-align the hinges - i was hoping it was something simple!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now