Talk

Advanced search

clawfoot freestanding bath against wall (but with gaps down side)- what to do about shower?

(21 Posts)
Thandeka Tue 25-Aug-09 18:01:04

We just had an offer accepted on an ace house with a clawfoot bath (dream bath- is a tiny version though and bathroom very small so no room for separate shower) currently there is a proper shower head run off the bath taps but it is handheld if you want to shower rather than wall mounted but suddenly dawned on us if you do wall mount it and put a shower curtain up you will probably find an issue with water running down back of bath - ooops! DH is a big shower person (and incidently the one who always manages to flood the bathroom in our current house) so am wondering what to do as I think for him no stand up shower may be a dealbreaker (oops for not thinking about this on second viewing before offer in!)

Any wonderful mumsnet solutions? (I did view a house once with a shower cubicle in a bedroom which was beyond weirdness but maybe thats the solution!) Is sit down showering really so bad?

BikeRunSki Tue 25-Aug-09 18:04:50

My sister had this set up in her old flat. They had a shower on the taps (a proper plumbed in one, not a rubber one for a fiver from Argos) and kept a mop in the bathroom. They lived like this for about 8 years, until they moved house.

Sorry, probably not the long term solution you were looking for.

Thandeka Tue 25-Aug-09 18:10:32

spose it would mean our bathroom floors would be cleanest in the land!

JJ Tue 25-Aug-09 18:18:17

We had something like this in our first house. I loved that bathroom! It worked really well - just use shower curtains around both sides and get a shower head that aims more down than back.

GrendelsMum Tue 25-Aug-09 18:19:21

Don't you have those fancy tent-like shower curtains in that situation? The ones which you pull all round the shower?

JJ Tue 25-Aug-09 18:24:04

Grendel, probably! I'm not entirely sure why I used two - it was long ago. It worked well though.

Thandeka Tue 25-Aug-09 18:24:24

oooh jj that is really helpful thankyou.

and a tent like showerr curtain also sounds like a plan- albeit very claustrobphobic!

Thandeka Tue 25-Aug-09 18:28:01

a round or oval curtain ring may solve this but I suppose thats mainly if taps are in middle not one end- these ones are one end.

Am feeling better about a possible solution though!

Shame the bath is too small for me and DH to bath together really anymore as I do love that. (ha maybe I should have a swanky bath put in bedroom like in some posh hotels and take bath out of bathroom and have swanky shower put in instead- ha yeah if only!

DrEvil Tue 25-Aug-09 18:29:03

We have just such a thing!

the shower is a rainfall style thing that points down and the curtains are on rails that go straight along on both sides.

The AP showers twice a day, dh showers once a day and I bath and as long as the showerees keep the curtain inside the bath and dont have a big gap at the back where the shower comes out of the wall there is no problem at all.

Our bathroom is also tiny but the bath is fab!

fatjac Tue 25-Aug-09 18:29:42

We have a similar shower to the one linked to above only our shower rail is circular and we use two shower curtains. You can also buy something called a horsetrack shower rail that goes right round the bath. The trick is to make sure that your showerhead protrudes out a fair distance from the wall.

Thandeka Tue 25-Aug-09 18:36:27

I lurve mumsnet! So helpful! Yay I can keep my titchy but perfectly formed bath!

(am pregnant anyhow so prob wont fit in bath with DH ever again so he can just sit on loo and talk to me instead!)

trixymalixy Tue 25-Aug-09 19:28:04

we have something like this over our roll top bath.

The shower head goes over the top of the rail so once the shower curtains are closed the water doesn't go down the back of the bath.

Our rail is about the same size as the bath and works fine.

Thandeka Thu 27-Aug-09 08:46:43

awesome- those rails seem expensive but as always ebay may have the answer! cept must stop self from buying one as offer not even accepted yet!

Joolsiam Thu 27-Aug-09 09:04:46

You will need to be very very strict with people about pulling the curtains across - we had a couple of incidents of water seeping through and staining the dining room walls and ceiling - it eventually turned out that the problem was water seeping through at the end of the bath, behind the shower head.

I eventually gave up that beloved bath and have just put in a more modern suite, - I thought I'd hate it as I loved my old roll top, but it makes a teeny tiny room feel much bigger and uncluttered

Thandeka Thu 27-Aug-09 09:08:17

Yeah I suspect that may happen to us. But spose it may fit in the garden and make an awesome flower bed/sandpit/paddling pool!

If only there was room for separate shower we wouldnt have this problem.

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Thu 27-Aug-09 09:13:53

i had this, loved the bath but showering was a nightmare. the round bath ring things can work but made showering a less than pleasant experience, all that clinging curtain.

pooka Thu 27-Aug-09 09:15:36

We have the triton one from Albion. Is great, but is second shower so not used very often as a showerbath, more as a bath for the children. We also have one of those oval shower rails and 2 shower curtains. Am not a fan of curtains though - agree they are clingy.

JJ Thu 27-Aug-09 13:36:37

Thandeka, we had an old clawfoot tub that we just gave to my mom to use as a planter! I will let you know how it looks next year when it's full and going.

Our shower curtain had magnets, I think, or weights at least, that kept it from flying into us. I can't stand it when it does that, ewwwwww.

Thandeka Thu 27-Aug-09 19:55:46

oooh magnets or weights great idea! Hate clingy shower curtains especially when surrounded and no escape!!

Thandeka Fri 28-Aug-09 15:12:49

problem solved- we had to pull out of buying the house. survey a la dad was bad- and he thought it was bad bet. Sniff!

One day a roll top bath and separate shower will be mine!

JJ Fri 28-Aug-09 19:40:03

Oh no, poor you! Hope you find a better house with a better bathroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now