Talk

Advanced search

is this normal with renting and pets?

(10 Posts)
cheesesarnie Tue 25-Aug-09 16:38:15

we phoned up about a house we were interested in.the estate agent asked if we had pets,we said 2 cats.he said each pet is £200 each on top of deposit!is the the 'norm' ?weve always rented but never heard that before

bamboobutton Tue 25-Aug-09 16:40:33

sounds like the landlords demand rather than standard practice.

TrillianAstra Tue 25-Aug-09 16:42:37

Most places say 'no pets at all' IME.

If part of the deposit will you get it back at the end if the place has not been damaged?

Some places make you give a bigger deposit if you have children. There is a logic behind it: children/pets are more likely to cause damage than adult humans.

cheesesarnie Tue 25-Aug-09 16:54:23

i see.yes i assume would get it back with deposit-just never heard of it before and assumed that was what a deposit was for.

unfortunatly cannot afford £400 on top of a depositsad

msrisotto Tue 25-Aug-09 16:55:46

Hi,

My sister is a lettings agent and always asks for a higher deposit (though i don't know by how much) for cats. Won't allow dogs.

captainaffray Tue 25-Aug-09 16:57:38

It's so they can clean the carpets when you leave. Seems steep.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 25-Aug-09 17:00:48

ours was a £100 deposit cos we had pets

feetheart Tue 25-Aug-09 17:01:45

I let out my old flat and generally have a 'No Pets' policy. However previous tenants had 2 cats and as everything else was fine I just asked for £50 extra 'cat deposit'.

Cats got their deposit back at end of tenancy and we now have 2 kittens

£200 per cat is taking the p*ss actually

paisleyleaf Tue 25-Aug-09 17:03:54

Sounds like the landlord/agency might have learned a lesson from previous tenants.

I know we had a tenant once we had to replace the carpet afterwards - not just have it cleaned.

steamedtreaclesponge Tue 25-Aug-09 17:10:35

When I was looking for a flat a couple of months ago I was told I would have to pay £500 extra deposit because I have two cats shock

The place wasn't even furnished...

Needless to say, I went with another estate agent who was less fussy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now