Talk

Advanced search

anyone lived next door to a building site?

(5 Posts)
nouveaupauvre Tue 25-Aug-09 12:53:16

we're renting short term between selling our house and finding a new one. have our eye on a great house which is next door to a site on which they are going to be building at least three houses. work won't start the moment we move in and we will be there over winter (so noise in the garden etc won't bother us as much as it would over summer).
it's obviously going to be noisy and possibly dusty but not sure whether it will be enough to make life miserable. anyone had any experience of this? we have a toddler and i'm likely to be at home a lot of the day.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 12:55:24

I currently live in a building site! And its a nightmare. Do you know how long the work will be going on for?

I am ready to kill the builders, and it has been almost 3 months. Next door must be going mad. And its not a house being built.

Personally I would not do it. And you don't know what it will be like when its finished either.

littlerach Tue 25-Aug-09 12:59:19

Well our neighbours are having a 2 storey extension built (since June) and it is rather hellish for us.
They are at work all day, and we have the builders there from 7.45am every day.
Even at weekends sometimes.
And their extension will come out past our house so will block light to our house, and every time I open the curtains in either dds rooms, I see a builder or roofer right there.
(Can oyu tell I'm pissed off wink).

And my car is covered in dust and plaster.
And our front door is filthy all the time, as are the wondows.

If they offered to clean them I'd be slightly happier.

Don't think I'd do it actually.

Tortington Tue 25-Aug-09 13:02:54

i had great fun playing on building sites ans sliding down roofs and swinging off scaffolding when i was a kid

so as long as the kids are at stay in the garden stage - i'd say its fine!

nouveaupauvre Tue 25-Aug-09 22:44:10

pavlov we are only renting for short period in this house (hopfeully!) so not bothered about what the houses next door look like when finished! they are knocking the rent down considerably to take account of noise which is what makes it attractive. food for thought tho, thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now