Talk

Advanced search

tell me about getting a new carpet when you have no-where to move all the furniture out to (one large downstairs room with sofa/bookshelves/dining table/sideboard and all the toys...)

(9 Posts)
OmniDroid Tue 25-Aug-09 11:00:32

Anyone managed this? There is just nowhere to put all the furniture.

Other rooms we've had done, we've cleared for the carpet fitters.

This one - my mum says move everything up to one end, then down to the other end, and they'll have to work around it. Sounds unlikely to me that anyone would agree to that!

What do I do?

FlightHattendant Tue 25-Aug-09 11:03:39

Ask the fitters. They will tell you - just be honest.

Can anything go outside temporarily, or be dismantled? If you could empty the cupboards etc that'll help a lot. Move as much as poss then they can prob work around the rest.

Ponders Tue 25-Aug-09 11:05:02

I think they can do it that way, but the carpet won't be properly stretched.

OmniDroid Tue 25-Aug-09 11:09:10

Thanks, that was quick! Yes, was thinking of going for a local firm rather than a carpet warehouse place as they might be more willing to discuss things. I'll ask about stretching the carpet - one we had put in a bedroom wasn't properly stretched by useless fitters, and it looks really bad.

I can certainly clear out books/toys, but some of the furniture is really heavy (solid wood sideboard and bookshelves), and I just can't see a way of getting it out of the room.

giveloveachance Tue 25-Aug-09 11:21:18

if you have a garden - they put the things out side, if not, they can do it in two halves. ie move all to one end, fit the carpet then repeat process. it takes longer though. have a chat with your carpet fitter. it is doable.

Lanky Tue 25-Aug-09 11:25:55

We've just had carpets fitted upstairs. We moved out all of the small stuff. The carpet fitters shifted the wardrobe and chests of drawers from room to room and upended the beds. They are used to doing this and won't find it a problem. The carpets look lovely and there were no problems with the carpets not being 'properly stretched'.

Fimbo Tue 25-Aug-09 11:30:44

Make sure you ask in advance as some companies will not move furniture.

mowbraygirl Tue 25-Aug-09 17:21:25

Our local carpet shop will move furniture as long as you take everything out of cupboards but the local retail store and carpet warehouses will not room has to be cleared completely which is not at all easy. We have had to go and help elderly neighbours clear a room as they were told the carpet would not be laid unless room was completely empty that was a carpet warehouse. We now all know to use local shop as in fact not that more expensive and are so helpful.

TeamEdward Tue 25-Aug-09 17:25:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now