Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I get a border with my bathroom tiles?

(23 Posts)
whatsthetimemrwolf Mon 24-Aug-09 22:01:40

We are having our bathroom fitted next week and I urgently need to make a decision on the tiles and could do with some MN help!

I have chosen some natural stone looking tiles in a cream colour which measure 600mm x 300mm. They are quite large and will be laid in a brick type effect. I can't decide whether to put a border of mosaic tiles in the same natural colours around the middle of the room. DP is concerned that the bathroom will look a bit dull without a border and I just can't decide. I'm after a contemporary look that won't date. Any suggestions greatfully received!

babyOcho Mon 24-Aug-09 22:06:31

How tall is the room? Will you have tiles on all walls?

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 24-Aug-09 22:11:05

Could you go to a showroom and have a look?

In our loft conversion, the floor is black and white tiles, and the walls are white with a black border. At first, I thought a white area looked cleaner, but then decided that it looked rather bland and one dimensional.

thisisyesterday Mon 24-Aug-09 22:14:55

no, i wouldn't. i think it'll look fine without

stealthsquiggle Mon 24-Aug-09 22:17:32

I think brick pattern tiling needs a border to avoid looking institutional.

I am rather proud of the bathroom I tiled (white with blue glass border) though so I may be biased.

FuckOffDailyMail Mon 24-Aug-09 22:19:58

I'm not sure that a border will work if your other tiles are in brick style pattern. It would have to be quite a wide border in order to offset the size of the other tiles.

RustyBear Mon 24-Aug-09 22:20:38

Bit confused - are these floor or wall tiles? 600mm sounds like big floor tiles - or do you mean 60mm X 30mm?

Aranea Mon 24-Aug-09 22:30:36

They sound very like our bathroom tiles. We don't have a border, if that helps. I think it looks fab and people always comment on how good it looks.

ninah Mon 24-Aug-09 22:31:27

No border

QuintessentialShadows Mon 24-Aug-09 22:32:39

No. Dont put it in the middle. It is no longer fashionable. If you want such a border, put it higher up. More classy.

Even classier, is to let the border run vertically, from floor to ceiling, in matching mosaic. One narrow strip, and one wider strip on another wall. Tres chic.

thisisyesterday Mon 24-Aug-09 22:35:45

oooh i like the vertical border idea.

i have just ordererd the tiles for our bathroom but i am going to see if i have enough to do that!!

Heated Mon 24-Aug-09 22:39:07

This destroys the modern look they were hoping to achieve imo, because they have the brick layout and because the tiles simply don't blend well enough.

This imo does work - very little visible grouting - almost the shower room look iyswim, and the mosaic is very subtle.

As my friend learnt the hard way having mosaic-ed the whole bathroom, with the extra grouting comes extra cleaning, especially in the shower cubical.

Heated Mon 24-Aug-09 22:43:15

vertical

is this what you were picturing with original idea?

whatsthetimemrwolf Tue 25-Aug-09 08:44:12

Thanks guys! Rustybear - The tiles are 600mm x 300 mm. Most of the tiles we have looked at are large rectangles for the wall and smaller square for the floor.

Heated - If going for a border it would be along the lines of this picture you posted so quite subtle lookingwww.decortiles.co.uk/images/Travertineweb_000.jpg. However, I agree with you FuckOffDailyMail that they would need to be quite wide to offset the size of the tiles. I like the vertical idea though!

My bathroom fitter has just come back to me to tell me that the porcelain tiles I have chosen will cost an extra £15 plus VAT per square meter on top of his already £30 per square meter quote. Does that sound unreasonable to you? It sounds extortionate to me! The border is then another £5 per linear meter! We hoped to tile all walls but at this price may just have to do tile the obvious areas!

BonsoirAnna Tue 25-Aug-09 08:47:32

Brick pattern tiling definitely looks smarter with a border.

However, I think that "natural stone" type tiles of the sort you describe have had their day and are dating first and would suggest you think again!

BonsoirAnna Tue 25-Aug-09 08:47:49

fast not first

FuckOffDailyMail Tue 25-Aug-09 09:53:29

That sounds rather expensive for the tiling. We had our shower tiled for 50 quid (inc VAT)

thisisyesterday Tue 25-Aug-09 13:40:06

i presume that;s for the tiles as well though?

whatsthetimemrwolf Tue 25-Aug-09 22:24:27

No the tiles are on top of that!

Heated Tue 25-Aug-09 22:31:21

So what's the total cost?

dogofpoints Tue 25-Aug-09 22:44:04

How often do people re-do their bathrooms if they keep up with teh fads of vertical in/horizontal out, colour in/natural stone out?

dogofpoints Wed 26-Aug-09 18:44:15

no really. Do people update their bathroom every couple of years because there is a new trend in vertical tile borders? Or rubber flooring?

FuckOffDailyMail Wed 26-Aug-09 20:56:50

I dont think so dogofpoints. I think people just live with out of date bathrooms

(mucj like not updating kitchens every time there is a new fashion)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now