Talk

Advanced search

I know I sound like a broken record but please tell me we're doing the right thing

(7 Posts)
fruitstick Mon 24-Aug-09 14:29:55

We sold our house in April after accepting an offer last December. We took a massive hit on our house (back to our 2005 purchase price) but needed to as I was pregnant with second child, we wanted to move out of London and found our dream house. We lost one buyer and had to knock another £25k of the price to get another quickly so we didn't lose our purchase

Our purchase fell through at the last minute anyway but we still sold and moved into rented. We wanted to rent until next year as we thought prices would start to fall again. However our landlord has given us notice on our house so we need to move again.

Although we could move into another rented house DS1 was so unsettled last time (he's 3) I can't bear doing it to him again, only to move again after another 6 months.

So, we have found a house we really like and are putting an offer in. However it feels like we have done badly at both ends of the market, selling at the low point, buying higher, only for them to go down again. If we'd have stayed in London and sold now we could have got another £50k at least for our house and could probably get a house for £20k cheaper next year (or maybe not)

I know it's no point thinking about what might have been but it's making me sick to think we could be about to make another terrible financial decision........ but I want a home.

I'm sorry to whine, and DH is getting fed up of me going round in circles but I just want someone to tell me that everything will be OK.

hambler Mon 24-Aug-09 14:36:50

everything will be okay!
House prices fluctuate up and down (spectacularly down in the last two years) but the overall trend is up.
There is no point at all in thinking "if we had done such and such we would have been x thousand better off"

You might just as well say "if I had predicted last week's lottery numbers we would have been x thousand better off".

NO ONE can predict these things

If you like this house put in an offer and best of luck!

potplant Mon 24-Aug-09 14:36:56

There's no way of knowing if prices will fall again next year and even if they did, the loss is a paper loss (unless you plan to sell)

somewhathorrified Mon 24-Aug-09 14:42:09

Isn't the point that you want a home...you don't put a price on that! The other thing to remember is that something is only worth what another person will pay, the housing market does not dictate what someone will pay, it just gives you an idea of what a handful of people paid for someone elses house.

rebl Mon 24-Aug-09 14:54:47

It will all be worth it. You may not be able to see it at the moment but it will be. You want a home, not a house and what price can you put on a home? You can't, that is priceless. Yes, financially its not been the best but if you get your dream house and make it the home you dream off then that doesn't matter anyway because you will be in it for so long that any money lost now you'll make up in the end when you do eventually sell.

Chin up, this is the right thing to do. I know its stressfull but you'll get there.

toja555 Mon 24-Aug-09 15:41:56

Having lost our dream home as well, I feel for you. If you are not planning to sell in another 3 years, just look for what you can call your home. As others say, “home” does not have value, and besides in more than 5 years prices will definitely have gone up at least a bit.
At the end of the day, I like to think that if it did work out this way, probably you have avoided something worse – think it’s fate for good!

fruitstick Mon 24-Aug-09 18:52:09

Well they didn't accept our offer so if you could all now tell me that we'd be mad to buy now that would be lovely.

Honestly, this is sending me insane!

They bought the house 12 months ago and want to recoup the price they paid it plus stamp duty and costs. Hence it's on the market for £35k more than last year's sale price. My only hope is that noone else is prepared to bail them out either!

But you have all been most helpful, I thank you. I need to find us a home not a financial coup smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now