Talk

Advanced search

Fitting a chimney liner?

(6 Posts)
GrendelsMum Mon 24-Aug-09 12:56:53

We're about to replace our open fire with a woodburning stove.

The stove shop says we should line the chimney with a flue liner, to prevent fires.

The chimney sweep (who's also a stove fitter) says that stove shops say this because they make a big profit on liners, and that we don't need a liner.

Does anyone here have any knowledge / experience of this?

The chimney is comparatively modern, but I don't know whether it was built after the crucial date of 1966 which is apparently when the regulations on chimneys changed!

mejon Mon 24-Aug-09 13:20:05

We had a woodburner fitted in our new house back in March. The house is approximately 5 years old and already had a chimney which the previous owners used occasionally with an open fire. We didn't get a liner fitted originally as the chimney seemed OK. However after a few weeks, soot deposits and more importantly tar deposits started to appear on top of the stove. We decided to have the chimney lined as this seals the whole flue and any deposits will come back down inside the stove. It cost us around an extra £500 which included the fitting/transport etc. If you do decide to fit one, it could cost less if you get your chimney sweep to fit one you've sourced independently.

GrendelsMum Mon 24-Aug-09 20:57:55

Thanks - getting the sweept to fit a liner we buy seems good third alternative, as the enormous price of the liner was very much putting us off!

Any other ideas, ladies?

preggersplayspop Mon 24-Aug-09 21:12:45

I had a liner fitted and it was bloody expensive. I remember thinking it would only be about 400 quid to instal the logburner but after fitting and lining costs it was closer to 2 grand all in shock.

Our chimney sweep recommended lining (he was independent of the shop where we bought the burner and independent of the fitter) and we have an old house so I was happy to do for peace of mind, but I was shocked how much it cost.

MrsMuddle Mon 24-Aug-09 22:31:44

I remember being shocked at the price when I got mine lined too, but I have an old house and they needed scaffolding to get to the top of the chimney.

A reputable sweep will be able to do a smoke bomb test to find out if you really need one or not.

ninah Mon 24-Aug-09 22:33:24

Yes I had mine lined too, better safe than sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now