Talk

Advanced search

What order to do the work in

(5 Posts)
fruitstick Sat 22-Aug-09 22:54:54

We are looking at buying a house which needs completely refurbishing. I think (although don't know) that structurally it's sound and wiring, heating, plumbing etc is fine.

I think in the long term we would want to
- completely redecorate
- build single storey extension and replace existing kitchen
- build extra bathroom over the garage
- turn existing bathroom into en suite (by moving door)

I'm trying to work out how much to offer, how much we need to spend and when we are likely to be able to afford to do all the work.

My question is .....
do you do the big, expensive stuff first even if it means doing nothing for ages or do the rooms that need the least amount of work first so at least you feel that half of the house is nice (lounge, kids' bedrooms).

All hypothetical obviously as we haven't even put an offer in yet but I'm trying to budget.

WobblyPig Sat 22-Aug-09 23:04:25

I would go for the extension and kitchen myself. Then redecorate ; then bathroom ; then ensuite.

This would be based on my personal priorities : I would like the extra space and nice kitchen ; then I would like the rest of the house to look tip-top. the bathrooms would be later.
I would definitely factor the kitchen and extension into the asking price ; the other stuff is probably more an issue of taste/ luxury.

Heated Sat 22-Aug-09 23:18:27

Extensions/ replacing kitchens make a lot of mess so personally I'd go for that first, so it won't matter so much if things get dusty as it's going to be replaced/redecorated. Also sometimes the extension has layout implications for the rest of the house, so you don't want to change the layout, only have to change it again iyswim.

PrincessLayer Sat 22-Aug-09 23:28:02

Build first.
Alterations second.
Decorate last.

Even a minor alteration can cause much dust/debris and hefty booted builders tramping muck all through your house.

If a room has decor you really can't live with, a pot of cheap paint can make it more bearable till you have the time/money to decorate as you really want.

fruitstick Sat 22-Aug-09 23:40:03

Hmm, thank you all - I suspected as much. We should factor in cost of kitchen extension into the mortgage then. Hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now