Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen floors

(22 Posts)
geogteach Thu 20-Aug-09 08:53:21

I am not very good at decisions and with a new kitchen being done they are coming thick and fast. We have chosen white units and a dark worktop, now i need to decide on the floor. The room is huge so cost is a consideration. Pretty sure tiles are out as I know we would drop stuff on them. The room includes a sitting and dining area, so what is practical for this sort of space, what would look good and is not going to break the bank?

GrendelsMum Thu 20-Aug-09 10:10:45

Bamboo! Very practical, easy to clean, good value and it looks stunning. It comes in either light or dark, and either wide stripes upwards or thin stripes upwards.

Chevre Thu 20-Aug-09 10:12:06

marmoleum - expensive but lovely to walk on

GrendelsMum Thu 20-Aug-09 10:20:45

I wanted marmoleum for my kitchen but DH for some reason took against it. It's also very warm and practical.

Pannacotta Thu 20-Aug-09 14:14:01

I also think Marmoleum is good, easy to clean, soft and nice surface for bare feet.

Bamboo is a good suggestion, would it go ok with your worktop?

FuckOffDailyMail Thu 20-Aug-09 14:20:03

Have you looked at Karndean and Amtico flooring?

Roomfor2 Thu 20-Aug-09 14:25:31

Why does dropping stuff mean tiles are out of the question? We've got slate-style tiles. Cheap as chips, hard wearing, they don't show the dirt or dust because they are deliberately slightly uneven and non-shiny (also means they are non-slip). And we've dropped jars on them and they haven't broken (well, the jars did, but not the tiles!)

If they are laid properly, they will be fully supported from underneath. They would only break if there were weak, unsupported places.

FYI, ours look lovely and we have a dark grout so not even that shows the dirt. I also think slate grey looks lovely with white and wood.

Just a humble opinion, but if you are definitely against tiles, then can't help as have only got tiles and original wood floorboards in my house. I know naaathing about other flooring... wink

puffylovett Thu 20-Aug-09 18:21:40

Agree about the tiles. I have flung all sorts on my ceramic tiles in an effort to break them, so I can persuade DP to refloor - so far no joy sad

puffylovett Thu 20-Aug-09 18:22:17

(and that includes entire kitchen cabinets when refitting following a fire)

cece Thu 20-Aug-09 18:23:21

Hi geogteach,

I answered your other thread... Mine is now installed and we are also at the flooring stage. I think we are going with Amtico Spacia in Sienna slate. We also have white cupboards and dark wooden worktop. smile

geogteach Thu 20-Aug-09 18:30:17

Thanks all!
though amtico would be great the room is truely huge and I don't think we can run to it, hence the question. May take a look at bamboo.
Cece the kitchen is coming next week, looking forward to seeing your pictures.
I am so looking forward to all this being over and being able to use more of the downstairs of the house than the lounge, go in the garden, park in the drive and not be woken up by skip deliveries at 7am in the holidays!

FuckOffDailyMail Thu 20-Aug-09 18:33:19

The Amtico Spacia range (designed for residential use) is not that expensive - about 25 pounds per sq m.

alarkaspree Thu 20-Aug-09 18:37:41

I have bamboo in my open plan kitchen/living/dining room. It looks beautiful. But every time I drop a fork it gets a new dent. And the kids' toys scratch it. And the furniture.

I would go with tiles if I were you.

catinthehat2 Thu 20-Aug-09 18:41:13

If you do end up with tiles, as someone else said, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES have light or white coloured grout. It will send you over the edge.

cece Thu 20-Aug-09 18:42:12

I ghave found it for £19.99 per square metre online plus VAT but the fitting costs can be quite high. Got someone recommended to me coming tomorrow to give me a quote.

Off to load photos in a mo...

MaybeAfterBreakfast Thu 20-Aug-09 18:54:29

Very wise not to have tiles. We have them (came with house). Everything I drop (milk bottles, glasses, mugs, plates) shatters into 1000 pieces and chips the tiles. I'm fed up of clearing up chips of glass and china.

mummc2 Thu 20-Aug-09 19:10:13

i have laminate in my kitchen/hall/dining and i know alot of people think that laminate is associated with cheap but we got the proper click flooring it has grooves in and looks like real country wood flooring. I have cream gloss units and dark worktops and feel it gives less of a clinical look feels more homely. Its not cold on your feet, i spill stuff on it all the time and drop stuff and its been in 2 years and still looks like new! cost approx £20 a sq metre plus fitting.

cece Thu 20-Aug-09 20:08:16

OK pictures of new kitchen now on profile.

BigGobMum Thu 20-Aug-09 20:21:56

Cece i love your new kitchen. We were planning to move but have decided to stay and improve instead. You have given me some ideas. Can you tell me did knock a wall down between two rooms?

cece Thu 20-Aug-09 20:38:59

no it is an extension across the back of the house.

geogteach Thu 20-Aug-09 21:47:42

Great its looking good! Need to get on with my decision making...

cece Thu 20-Aug-09 21:58:34

It's so difficult isn't it?

I think we are going for this one here with 20% off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now