Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have underfloor heating (not in a bathroom) probably under tiles and is it any good?

(8 Posts)
stressed2007 Wed 19-Aug-09 13:42:53

Hi - thinking of having this put in our conservatory - is it any good? Does it involve the laying of pipes or is it done via electric as some of the bathroom underfloor heating is? Thanks

Rox73 Wed 19-Aug-09 14:10:22

There are two types of underfloor heating. the pipes one is run like central heating and uses a boiler. These tend to be thicker and installation costs are higher than electric. Electric underfloor heating is a doddle to lay down, they're available in different sized mats, but you need an electrician to hook it up. Installation costs a lower but slightly higher running costs (I've been told).

We used electric underfloor heating throughout the house and it's great. we have it under engineered floorboards, under carpets and under tiles.

stressed2007 Wed 19-Aug-09 14:53:58

oh thanks - sounds like a great idea for us then. Did you have radiators too or just the underfloor heating and what type? Thanks

TheProfiteroleThief Wed 19-Aug-09 14:55:15

we have the electrical type and never use it - the insulation was enough by itself, but we have ch too

sayanything Wed 19-Aug-09 14:57:08

My parents have underfloor heating at their house and I loved it; I'd come in from the cold, take my shoes off and walk barefoot to warm up my toes.

sayanything Wed 19-Aug-09 14:57:44

Forgot to say - no radiators, the underfloor ch was enough.

Rox73 Wed 19-Aug-09 16:30:19

we only have electric underfloor heating and no radiators.. we also spent a small fortune on insulation (architect's recommendation) which keeps the house nice and warm in winter...

frAKKINPannikinAGRIPPA Wed 19-Aug-09 16:47:38

My parents have something which looks on architects plans a bit like Roman underfloor heating. It's awesome though - I could lie down and sleep on their floor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now