Talk

Advanced search

Is a bedroom that is 8’7” x 8’0” (2.62m x 2.44m) useable or is it really a box room?

(7 Posts)
TheProfiteroleThief Wed 19-Aug-09 12:58:53

I'm thinking a bed must be 3 x 6, so that does not allow for a wardrobe or chest of drawers does it? Or is there creative and space saving furniture that I am unaware of?

Cabin bed for a child?

lynniep Wed 19-Aug-09 13:03:31

my DS's room (he's 2.5) is about 1.9 x 2.75m and its no problem.
He has a toddler bed, a chest of drawers, a chair and a shelving unit. There is still a decent amount of floor space. However I think that come the time he needs a single bed a cabin bed would have to be the way to go.

HolidaysQueen Wed 19-Aug-09 13:03:33

well i'd say that the bed goes down one side of the room, and the wardrobe and chest of drawers could go along the other wall. surely the wardrobe can't be much more than 2ft depth at most (i'm crap at spatial stuff) so that still gives you a 3ft gap between bed and furniture to walk between which is ample, isn't it?

TheProfiteroleThief Wed 19-Aug-09 13:06:53

Have just seen one now that is 6 x 5 11, which makes it sound very spacious!

I suppose positioning of door and radiator will influence layout possibilities

eandh Wed 19-Aug-09 13:12:40

my dd2 bedroom is tiny she has a single divan bed (use the underneath as storage for toys/shoes and then has small single wardrobe (although we have taken doors off and put fabric curtains on it so it can fit at the end of her bed (couldnt get doors open otherwise!) she has chest of drawers and very limited floor space, however, we have a playroom so most toys are in there and my plan is as they get older I'll convert that into a second lounge for them to have friends in (ie settee, tv/dvd player/ computer etc) so won't really need to use her room much iygwim

AMumInScotland Wed 19-Aug-09 13:15:41

Ds bedroom when we first moved was only about 7ft square - he had a fullsize single bed, a chest of drawers with shelves over and a bookcase in that space. It helped that the radiator was on the bit of wall that the door opened onto, so couldn't have put furniture there anyway. And we moved the lightswitch to outside the door so we could have the shelves.

It was fine when he was smaller and didn't need a wardrobe, but we had to move the rooms round when he got bigger.

titchy Wed 19-Aug-09 13:17:21

yep cabin bed with chest of drawers underneath and bookcase/shelving unit underneath.

Kids don't really need wardrobes until they're mucholder and a high sleeper coudl accommodate wardrobe under as well.

Bugger to keep tidy though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now