Talk

Advanced search

Calling NORWICH MNers -- tell me about Dussindale please

(16 Posts)
MegBusset Tue 18-Aug-09 21:52:49

Yes, I know it's my millionth thread about areas of Norwich blush

Think the Golden Triangle will be too expensive for us -- so we're considering Dussindale as you get loads of space for your money.

So what's the drawback? Is it a hideous place to live? Are the schools awful? (We're looking at primary schools as DC are 2 and 0). Is there a playground or open space there??

TIA!

Katymac Tue 18-Aug-09 22:06:57

Umm - a while since I was there

Lots of very new houses; brand new school

About 8 yrs ago there was an issue about nt enough school - guess new school has sorted that out

Nice Sainsburys (you will spend too much) - walk in centre (very useful I drive 18 miles to visit it)

Come & live by me (out towards Acle) it's lovely

Sprowston seems nice

EldonAve Tue 18-Aug-09 22:09:59

I'm not a local but know people there
The primary is supposed to be good
You can walk to Sainsburys

Drawback - all the houses look the same

rebl Wed 19-Aug-09 09:02:56

I'm not local but not too far from there. School is OK but I just find the whole area a bit samey if you get my drift.

MegBusset Wed 19-Aug-09 20:23:45

Thanks all. Sounds pretty much what we had thought tbh -- that you pay less because it's characterless new builds!

Ideally we'd go to the Golden Triangle but it's a lot more £££... need to be near the city as we'll need to find jobs if we do make the move...

Fimbo Thu 20-Aug-09 10:28:43

Have I harped on to you before about Hethersett? Not that far out from GT.

Or around the Newmarket Road are the villages of Cringleford and Eaton. Eaton has a Waitrose!

We are considering moving that way when ds gets to High School (he is only coming up for 6!), so we can walk to the City etc.

Cringleford has lots of new build but not in the actual village itself.

Would not personally move to Dussindale as it is just house upon house upon house. I think the walk in centre there may be closed now and moved to the Castle Mall.

Fimbo Thu 20-Aug-09 10:33:17

You could get this for example in Cringleford. It is close to the local park.

peanutbutterkid Thu 20-Aug-09 10:38:09

Dussindale: good travel links to other areas.

DH was working at Broadland Business Park, we seriously considered moving to between Dussindale and the City Centre (the nice houses on the Hills there).
DH had a workmate who lived in Dussindale and tended to describe it in negative terms, I can't remember exactly what he said, but I got the impression that it wasn't great (not terrible, especially compared to some other Norwich areas, but not nice either). What does UpMyStreet say about it?
But there are lots of muggings and burglaries in the Golden Triangle (put me off living there).

Where will you & your other half be working, MegBusset?

peanutbutterkid Thu 20-Aug-09 10:39:02

Ah, sorry, I didn't see your 2nd message, OP.
What kind of fields do you & your OH work in, why are you so sure you'll be working in the City Centre?

Fimbo Fri 21-Aug-09 12:59:33

Meg, where are you have we scared you? grin.

Agree with Peanut, what type of work are you looking forward.

About 3/4's of Norwich City Centre buildings are owned by Norwich Union (sorry Aviva!), there are not that many other employers in the heart of the city. Well there is another insurance company (Marsh).

Fimbo Fri 21-Aug-09 13:00:10

Bah, looking for not looking forward.

Fimbo Fri 21-Aug-09 13:04:58

Eaton school

Fimbo Fri 21-Aug-09 13:05:55

Cringleford school

MegBusset Fri 21-Aug-09 13:09:30

Hello, sorry, have had hands full with DSes!

Fimbo, I know you have mentioned Hethersett to me before... iirc there is an issue with the only middle school being CofE (I would not feel comfortable sending DC to a faith school). Little Melton is a bit too villagey for us.

As for work... well, there lies the rub. DH and I are both freelancers in the world of publishing, but would need to find permanent jobs at some point as freelance work is v thin on the ground these days. DH needs to be near station for commuting back to London once or twice a week. I would hope to get a job at a local media company (if there are any left!) or maybe one of the universities. Failing that it'll be stacking shelves in Tesco!

Fimbo Fri 21-Aug-09 13:35:11

Eaton village/Cringleford would be ideal for University of East Anglia. Eaton is kind of split across the Newmarket Road, some council areas close to the uni come under it. You need Eaton village where Waitrose is, which is really nice. There is lots of new build at Cringleford, you will see them on rightmove but Cringleford is an actually village and is quite a bit away from the new build houses, they are on the opposite side of Newmarket Rd to it. Eaton and Cringleford kind of run into each other. Sorry I don't know how much info/knowledge you have of Norwich so I may be giving you stuff you are already aware of.

Again you could get from there on to the A47 easily enough (presumable your dh drives?) and get into town that way to the station. I there maybe a train that goes to London from Wymondham via Cambridge but not sure, again you could get to Wymondham easily enough from those areas.

peanutbutterkid Sat 22-Aug-09 10:13:18

Going back to the OP, there are some large open not that developed spaces towards Broadland Bus. Park (where you might find employment, too). So some spaces kids can tumble about, and there are some playgrounds (I'm not sure exactly what, though). Tho' Eaton Park (near UEA) is much nicer than any other playground in the city .

LOL at your comment about "universities"; I guess the Art School is now calling itself a Uni, but otherwise there's only one (UEA). I never heard of sub-eds at UEA, we wrote and edited and indexed our own papers and books, etc. That's partly how academics end up w/ 80 hr weeks.

Archant is the main big publisher in this region I know of and their head-Qs are on Rouen Road, west side of town, uncomfortably close to Mile Cross and Larkman estates, Dussindale would be lousy place for having to commute to Rouen Rd. each day. You'd be better off in Hetherset or Cringleford, or maybe even Wymondham.

I presume you're looking to buy longterm, but I suggest that at first you rent near UEA, close to Newmarket Road and middle-Ring Road area, until you find jobs, and have a better sense of your likely long-term commuting patterns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now