Talk

Advanced search

Can you tell me about Acomb, York, please?

(18 Posts)
MamaG Mon 17-Aug-09 20:21:43

Have also posted in chat but thougth this may be ab etter topic

Is it classed as a "nice" area, or is it a bit rough?

What are the schools like?

Are there any bits to avoid if buying property?

thanks

jooseyfruit Mon 17-Aug-09 20:23:23

rough as fuck.
south bank much better, that's where i live grin
i work in acomb and it really isn't nice.

makemineamagnum Mon 17-Aug-09 20:32:07

I've lived in York for years but never in Acomb. My understanding is that it has a few council estates that are rough but mostly ok. There were 2 schools, Lowfields and Oaklands that have merged into a new school, York High School. Don't know much about Lowfields but I know Oaklands was a very poor school. A friend did teacher training there and it was very rough with awful results. However, that being said I know the new head of the new school and I'm sure he'll turn things around if the standards were low. Don't know much about primaries though.
The houses there tend to be cheaper than the other side of town because they are further from the university so there is less demand for them so you can get an ex-council house quite cheap compared with other areas in the city.
An area that is often talked about with Acomb is Dringhouses which I think is quite rough and I would avoid (but this is just on what friends have said)

Dottoressa Mon 17-Aug-09 20:32:09

I have no advice yet, but as we're moving to York I am watching with interest!

FWIW, all the agents we've consulted have told us to avoid Acomb and Tang Hall (and the MN jury seems to agree!)

Dottoressa Mon 17-Aug-09 20:33:14

Magnum - oh no!! Dringhouses is one area that was recommended to us ...

jooseyfruit Mon 17-Aug-09 20:36:14

dottoressa, how is the house hunting going?

makemineamagnum Mon 17-Aug-09 20:37:31

Dottoresa - I'm in Tang Hall and whilst it has a reputation its only bad in very small pockets really. The local secondary school, Archbishop Holgate's has recently had an 'outstanding' in its ofsted report and has results just a little below the well regarded schools like Fulford and Huntington. Mostly, the reputation is not deserved. I wouldn't rule it out necessarily, best to have a visit and a look round maybe.

MamaG Mon 17-Aug-09 20:38:45

Thanks a lot

<<crosses Acomb off list>>

Dottoressa Mon 17-Aug-09 20:47:21

Magnum - thanks for the insights! It's always difficult moving to somewhere that you don't know at all well.

Joosey - ohhh... it isn't going at all. 'Our' house on Tadcaster Road is still for sale, and our offer still stands - only we've not sold, so are stuck now. I'm almost certainly going to have to camp with the children in York during the week; DD starts at the Mount on 3rd September, so we are now seriously running out of time. In fact, I've even put a classified ad on the MN York Local site in case anyone has any bright ideas that I've not thought of yet (entirely possible, as my brain is now thoroughly warped after seven weeks of the children being at home... grin).

I should put another classified ad asking if anyone will come and cheer me up in my tent on the Knavesmire in September!!

jooseyfruit Mon 17-Aug-09 20:51:34

dottoressa, poor you, horrible being in property limbo. I'll come and bring you some carrot cake and a thermos of hot choc in your tent!
sorry for hijack mamag.

thehairybabysmum Mon 17-Aug-09 20:57:00

I live in Holgate which is between acomb and york city centre. Depends on your perspective as to roughness of acomb?? IMO, not being from York and having lived in big citties even the rough bits of york arent that rough.

Basically bits of acomb are nice, bits ok and a couple of roughish estates. Chapelfields the main bit to avoid. I thought Dringhouses was posh though as its near the racecourse?? Its not really near Acomb though.

Holgate is v. nice (im biased obviously) and you have the advantage of being able to nip to acomb for PO, veggis etc or into town (20 mins) if you want lots of shops etc.

York is a lovely place to live, ive been here 10+ years and love it.

What are your house requirements/budget etc? Are you after primary or secondary schools?

South of the river is generally a bit cheaper than north of river.

thehairybabysmum Mon 17-Aug-09 21:02:44

Hello Dot, i remeber your previous thread looking for a house. Could you afford to buy a cheaper house to tide you over...250k?? If so i can recommend one.
Could you rent? this one cheapish and handy for your school runs here

Dottoressa Mon 17-Aug-09 22:20:22

Thanks, Joosey!

Mamag - you are very welcome to come and camp alongside me. smile Apologies for hijacking your thread, too...

HBM - hello. We had wondered about buying a buy-to-let that we could live in temporarily, but finances just won't stretch to it. Ditto your rental suggestion, sadly (which looks lovely!) Bizarre as it sounds, given our relatively massive house-buying budget, we would have to be looking at something like £500 pcm if we were renting, as DH would stay in our house and try to sell it, rather than letting that out.

There's a gorgeous 'serviced apartment' that I found via your link - for £360 per week! shock

MamaG Mon 17-Aug-09 23:15:09

It is hard isn't it, moving. I wish I had a crystal ball!

thehairybabysmum Tue 18-Aug-09 09:37:16

Mama G, why dont you post your requirements and budget then all us Yorkies can post suggestions in nice bits of York a la relocation relocation style.

Sorry for hijack too!

Dottoressa Tue 18-Aug-09 15:47:45

MamaG - the York MNers are excellent relocators!!

MamaG Thu 20-Aug-09 07:38:30

I think we'll go for Wetherby area rather than York as its closer to family

But thanks!

ABetaDad Thu 20-Aug-09 07:48:41

I am from York and Acomb/Holgate is a mixed area of nice streets and rough estates.

It is cheaper than many other areas of York -which overall is one of the most expensive places to live in the North of England.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now