Talk

Advanced search

neighbour problem advice please

(18 Posts)
newneighbour Mon 17-Aug-09 00:36:15

We have a new neighbour, we have just discovered he has stolen from us (our rubbish bin) we suspect there is more stuff going on.

how do we deal with this?

we are in a difficult council for rubbish, they will not collect unless in a bin, bins are small, they snoop and fine a lot about what is in the bin.
I have no idea how much they cost but don't really feel inclined to buy a new one while he keeps ours

He does still have his own I guess he just thought he'd have ours too!

blinks Mon 17-Aug-09 00:38:55

is he a psycho?

if not then ask if he has accidentally put your bin back thinking it was his...

he may just be an idiot.

PuppyLoves Mon 17-Aug-09 00:40:12

What other stuff is going on?

Can you not just knock and say 'excuse me I think you've taken our bin in by mistake?'

PuppyLoves Mon 17-Aug-09 00:40:56

x post blinks - great minds smile

hambler Mon 17-Aug-09 00:43:39

how do you know he took it?

newneighbour Mon 17-Aug-09 00:48:00

Don't know what he is like he's new we've been away

his bin is outside waiting for bin men ours is in his garden full of his rubbish

he is dumping rubbish in our garden, and mixing concrete on our lawn for starters (although admittedly we havn't seen him mix the concrete but feel it is very unlikely to suddenly be our other neighbours who we know well and are not doing anythign to their house)

we asked him to remove his rubbish from our other bin because we needed it (he agreed it was his rubbish but refused to remove it this bin was slap bang in the middle of our garden) his response was to say
how did we know it was our bin?
and we couldn't prove it was our bin?
and he didn't know it was our bin
he had no answer to my question about why he walked accross our garden and put his rubbish in it,
when I say dumping rubbish I am referring to other stuff

newneighbour Mon 17-Aug-09 00:49:00

hambler I'm guessing it doesn't walk!

(I think we x posted!)

hambler Mon 17-Aug-09 00:53:48

good grief he sounds like a twit.
Ask him sweetly to choose one of the two bins available to your house and his.

Then paint your house number in large letters on YOUR bin for clarification.
And chain it to your gatepost

newneighbour Mon 17-Aug-09 01:06:46

I am currently searching for photo of rubbish bin!

hambler Mon 17-Aug-09 01:13:39

can't you just show him both bins and ask him to pick one?

newneighbour Mon 17-Aug-09 01:13:59

woo hoo
Unbelievably I have found photo of our bin with marks on it (the one currently sitting in his garden full of his rubbish)

I can't believe it

grin

newneighbour Mon 17-Aug-09 01:19:33

oh yes
except one is at end of street full of his rubbish
one is in his garden full of his rubbish

when we asked him to move his rubbish from our other bin (we have a really crazy council!) he came out with
it's not yours
proove it
how do I know it's yours
etc etc

I'm still puzzled as to why if he thought it was his he was keeping it in our garden and since we know it isn't his why he thought it was a good idea to walk into his new neighbours garden take their bin and put it in his garden and use it.

Really odd thing to do don't you think?

Shall I send him the photos of it in my garden about 5 years ago and sitting in his this evening full of his rubbish?

(yes we ended up taking photos he was threatening etc etc)

oh dear!

hambler Mon 17-Aug-09 08:32:26

blimey, a real oddball!
Yes, show him the photos.
Is your dh a big burly hairy man? If not can you borrow one?

blinks Mon 17-Aug-09 10:24:50

i wouldn't show him photos. he already knows it's your bin.

i would suggest verbally that unless he wants to live in a hostile environment, he should put your bin back once it's been emptied by the bin men.

if he doesn't i'd send him a formal looking letter, adding that you've sent a copy to the council.

GypsyMoth Mon 17-Aug-09 10:37:02

why dont you just go and get the bin?/

when are they next collected? just get it and lock it in a shed/garage

goldenpeach Mon 17-Aug-09 23:09:08

Ring the council and say your new neighbour took your bin and doesn't want to return it, email the council the photo if they don't believe you. I once shopped a commercial unit near me because they were burning stuff illegally and the council sorted it out. Or say to the the neighbour you will involve the council. He sounds like a twat to me.

newneighbour Tue 18-Aug-09 15:20:14

Thanks all
we are waiting to see what happens....

we can't get the bin it is
a) right beside his back door
b) full of rubbish that it shouldn't be so when it goes out he will prob get fined/visited by the council unless he sorts it

also this is tiny terrace no shed or garage so no where to put it except back garden

I have made some phone calls and none of it is looking good, however we have decided to wait until after bin day to see if it comes back

Unfortunatly dh is not burly his respone to neighbour being arsey was to come and get me! grin

I just get the feeling this guy is going to be trouble and it makes my heart sink in that why me/this is all we need kind of way.

thanks for keeping me company with it though

hambler Wed 19-Aug-09 00:49:52

BUGGER.
Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now