Talk

Advanced search

How much to do to our house?

(12 Posts)
specialmagiclady Sun 16-Aug-09 10:54:15

We're in very early stages of thinking about selling our house and moving - again!

We were going to stay here for ever so have done lots to the layout to make it more livable in, but there are lots of jobs we were putting off 'til the next couple of years - decorating here and there, painting and restoring sash windows, peeling wallpaper there. We're about to put a new boiler - note to self, may have to put in cheaper one if we're to sell - and fitted wardrobes. Anyway, should we crack on and sort out the windows, for eg. on the grounds that the better nick our house is in, the easier it will be to sell, or will we just not get the value back?

We have in no way decided that we're definitely moving. Just realised our lifestyle may not work out as we expected here (DH living away from home most of time for work etc.)

rubyslippers Sun 16-Aug-09 10:55:51

the boiler and windows are big-ish and expensive jobs

wouldn't it be better to market the property on the basis that these jobs need doing and take less money

FWIW, we bought a house which needed a lot of work (cosmetic and new heating/boiler/bathrooms etc) and the price reflected that

CybilLiberty Sun 16-Aug-09 10:56:38

I would do enough to make it presentable to viewers, but perhaps deduct some money off the price for boiler etc if anyone is interested.

specialmagiclady Sun 16-Aug-09 11:00:21

It's wierd, though, because some bits, having been done are Immaculate. Frustrating not to get to finish it!

Anyway, we're wildly indecisive so we'll definitely be here for the winter and I'm NOT going through another winter with a boiler that can't heat the entire house!

BigGobMum Sun 16-Aug-09 11:01:47

I certainly wouldnt bother with fitted wardrobes. We have them and are thinking about taking them out. Does anyone really choose to have fitted 'robes these days? I think I would be tempted to try and sell as it is - good luck.

RedLentil Sun 16-Aug-09 11:13:10

I would think about doing the sash windows at least in the main living rooms as they are likely to add value as a 'period feature.'

Defo not the fitted wardrobes though as they may not be to the taste of the new buyers.

We were in similar circs a few years ago and decided on a budget of £3500 which we used to do a bland job on the things that really needed doing. The effect was to add about £20,000 to the value of a house in a falling market.

We used a lot of Homebase own cream paint, built an understairs cupboard, replaced grey carpets with sandy coloured ones, replaced door knobs with nice modern ones and put an 'ooh, fancy' light fitting in the dining room.

The upstairs still looked dodgy, the kitchen was vile, but three of the rooms they saw first hit the right note and the people who wanted it were signed up by that.

We had only bought the house a year before, but circs changed and we didn't get to do the full job on it. The agents we'd bought it from were v. impressed by the quick transformation.

I would love to go back to it to see what has been done since but we are now putting our energy into renovating our new house and nothing but wild horses would move me from this one.

You need to think of every thing you do in terms of whether or not it would add value.

Maybe get an ageint in to value and ask him or her which of the jobs would pay back in terms of selling price?

specialmagiclady Sun 16-Aug-09 11:20:46

Unfortunately the fitted wardrobes are being built as we speak by a local craftstman and are going in on Monday (told you we were in early stages of thinking about moving).

The other thing is that one of the "peeling wallpapers" is in the hall, which means our massive hall, stairs and landing may need to be totally re-done. AAAAAARGH. No wonder we've been putting that off! *Gets out pritt stick, climbs ladder, prays*

RedLentil Sun 16-Aug-09 11:23:10

Well, they sound like very nice ones specialmagiclady and so will be a good thing.

You could try something with a bit more staying power than pritt stick though. grin

HerHonesty Sun 16-Aug-09 20:03:06

I would "finish" the house so it looks done, otherwise you are falling between two stools which may be a bit of a problem.

Fitted wardrops - dont bother.

Boiler - how old is it?

specialmagiclady Mon 17-Aug-09 21:00:08

Boiler at least 20 years old, doesn't provide enough hot water for 2 baths, can't pump enough heat round the system to actually get all radiators warm (previous residents just used to close off parts of the house, we have more children so can't).

1st Wardrobe in our room has gone in today - oh well.

We're not in a hurry, may wait another year and at least then we'll have some of the benefit....

HerHonesty Tue 18-Aug-09 06:59:35

ok, so the boiler will probably come up in the survey. probably a good idea to do if you have the money, if only for your own use/peace of mind. it costs more to install in an emergency situation rather than a planned one..

rebl Tue 18-Aug-09 08:42:53

I would do the boiler but get a cheap one.

As for the wall paper, how bad is it? Could you just stick it up with glue for the perposes of selling or is it beyond that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now