Talk

Advanced search

Cardboard boxes for moving

(16 Posts)
racmac Sat 15-Aug-09 08:10:43

Where did you get yours from? I have been to local supermarkets but they only seem to have rubbish banana boxes that have big holes in!

Dont really want to pay a fortune - any suggestions?

DLI Sat 15-Aug-09 08:19:52

i got mine from work. i work in an office(mostly small ones though). we get our paper, evelopes etc in boxes and they are much easier than larger boxes to carry. also speak to your local shops (not just the supermarkets), and failing all else check ebay to see how much they cost on there

Eddas Sat 15-Aug-09 11:13:53

My dh works in a plumbing merchant so we got ours from there. Try places like that as all they do is throw them out and they have lots each week, i'm sure they'd save them for you. I know dh's workplace would.

Floopy21 Mon 17-Aug-09 12:57:32

I always get mine from Freecycle - you need to join your local group if you're not already a member & then post a request. Best thing is putting them back on when you've finished & someone coming to clear them away!

randomtask Mon 17-Aug-09 12:59:52

If you're using a removals company, some give them to you for free. The one we're using will deliver them a few weeks before we move (picking up a deposit cheque) and then will collect them a few weeks after we've moved and give us the cheque back. If we keep them we'll pay for them.

GrendelsMum Mon 17-Aug-09 13:57:07

I second Freecycle - and you can also use it to find new homes for some of your spare things before you move.

ilikeyoursleeves Mon 17-Aug-09 14:08:50

I was in Au Naturale one day pre move and they were putting out new stock from HUGE boxes. I just asked them and they said I could help myself Try somewhere like that?

Claire2301 Mon 17-Aug-09 14:14:09

Have you got a Greengrocers local to you? They have big and very strong boxes that are usually going spare?

RubyBlueberry Mon 17-Aug-09 18:22:39

Third the wonderful freecycle.

vonsudenfedhatespauldacre Mon 17-Aug-09 18:30:08

Another vote for Freecycle - if not, try the local off-licence. Wine and beer boxes can take the weight!

bloss Mon 17-Aug-09 18:30:42

Message withdrawn

skymoo Thu 27-Aug-09 23:34:10

try your local bookshop, they are IME happy to get rid, plus they are strong!

ravenAK Thu 27-Aug-09 23:39:00

Banana boxes are actually pretty good - v sturdy - if you tape something over the hole in the bottom.

I did all the kids' stuff in them, using lego base boards & big books to cover each hole!

Also they're fine for clothes, bedding & towels - just slap a strip of tape across the whole.

If you know anywhere (local school?) that does lots of photocopying, their boxes are good for books, CDs etc.

Again, freecycle's good for bigger boxes!

spiralqueen Fri 28-Aug-09 00:00:29

Had a look at Pickfords website and they were a lot cheaper than I thought they would be, and liked the look of the bags to put mattresses in.

Otherwise photocopier boxes(the ones that hold several reams of paper) are great for books.

HeadFairy Fri 28-Aug-09 00:03:01

Our removals company gave them to us... we paid for packing service so they brought everything with them and then when we finally move in they'll take away all the empty boxes and reuse them.

WElizabeth Fri 11-Sep-09 12:55:06

Visit StorageDeluxe for good quality packing supplies including cardboard boxes at affordable price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now