Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Size of ensuite

(10 Posts)
HouseHunting Fri 14-Aug-09 21:22:22

We looked at a house today (DH's 1st viewing & my 2nd viewing) & are going to put an offer on it tomorrow. The master bedroom is large, some 17'5 x 14' & we would like to put an ensuite in it - how much space do you need for a small ensuite? The kind where you open the door & have a small sink infront of you, shower cubicle to one side & toilet to the other side? Roughly? Thanks

babypringle Sat 15-Aug-09 21:16:42

We are having an extension built inc a new ensuite, and the architect said that the smallest possible was 1m x 3.5m. The shower cubicle will totally fill the width at one end, sink in the middle opposite the door and toilet at the other end. hth

HouseHunting Sun 16-Aug-09 10:12:29

That's great, many thanks

TaxiLady Sun 16-Aug-09 10:17:27

my parents had an ensuite shoved in their bedroom...they have a 800mm corner shower on the right, teeny tiny (and imo freaky) basin and loo at the other end

pretty much as you describe tbh

they floored it with two boxes of floor tiles, ...less than two square metres

HouseHunting Sun 16-Aug-09 10:20:07

Thanks TaxiLady - if we get the house we will get an architect round as the house needs work...but am pleased an ensuite is doable

missingtheaction Sun 16-Aug-09 10:20:34

Don't forget to leave space for a heated towel rail somewhere you can use the loo without burning your bum!

HouseHunting Sun 16-Aug-09 10:22:48

Hee hee good tip for my not so small bum wink

welshdeb Sun 16-Aug-09 11:00:42

hi we put in 2 small ensuites when we extended. This was 8 years ago.

One is narrower than the other but both have the same design. Both are the width of the shower cubicle. Door is opposite sink unit loo on left and shower on right and there is a space on the wall by the shower for towel rail.

In the the bigger one we used Wikes stuff as they do some sice built in bathroom stuff so we got a narrow unit and drawers and a little surface around the sink unit. Wikes also did quite compact loos.

The narrower one we used a sink from a "space saver" range. The room is about 10 cm smaller/narrower, so we neeeded a sink you can bend down to brush your teeth at without sticking your bum out of the door if you know what I mean. I cant think who did it at the moment, but it was designed for situations like yours small ensuites and cloakrooms, and they did all sorts of corner loos, narrow sinks etc.

I dont know how long the space is but we felt that the space although narrow was too long for just an ensuite so we put in a wardrobe/ closet in the other side , behind the shower.

HarrietToo Sun 16-Aug-09 19:06:38

I'd recommend living in the house for a few months, ideally a year, before you decide what you want to change - we were told this and it is actually true.

HouseHunting Sun 16-Aug-09 23:24:04

Cheers mi dears Yeah we would probably have to live in the house a few months anyway before we could afford to start the work - need to see if Dh gets a bonus! Can't wait until tomr=orrow to hear from the EA about our offer!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now