Talk

Advanced search

Completion dates - what is the best day to move?

(12 Posts)
Rox73 Thu 13-Aug-09 14:54:45

Hi,
If you had to choose a day in which to move what day would you choose? I am (fingers crossed) exchanging with a delayed completion but need to decide on a completion date. I was thinking of completing/moving on a Friday so that I have the weekend to unpack. My husband thinks it doesn't matter what day we move, so moving on a Wednesday for instance is no different to moving on a Friday. As he is not going to be involved at all (he works out of town during the week), it makes no odds to him.

What is everyone's experience/opinion?

Rebeccaj Thu 13-Aug-09 17:18:19

Fridays are normal, as you say it's good to have the weekend. However, my solicitor did mention that fridays are, because of this, very busy so it can be late in the afternoon when you actually complete; hence completing on say thursday/weds is likely to result in a quicker completion!

petalpower Thu 13-Aug-09 17:22:10

Moving on a Friday can be more expensive and also gets booked up earlier. We (3 house moves in a year here!) tend to move on Mondays. The other issue with moving and completing on a Friday is that if things go wrong you have to wait until Monday to resolve issues. HTH!

poopscoop Thu 13-Aug-09 17:29:17

Fridays and at the end of the month (to do with mortgage payments on something) not that we ever listened to that. we just move any day of the week grin Then take the rest of the week of to sort stuff and begin the new home rows grin

HerHonesty Thu 13-Aug-09 18:10:28

i moved on a thursday, then had friday to unpack and at least some of the weekend to unwind.

Rox73 Fri 14-Aug-09 08:35:00

Thanks everyone!

Fizzylemonade Fri 14-Aug-09 08:44:45

I actually know someone who ended up with NO HOUSE due to solicitors cock up as they moved on a Friday and had to wait until Monday to sort it out.

Their buyers money went through so their house was sold but as it was late in the day (as mentioned above) their money didn't buy their house. Time ran out and they were left homeless.

The removal men felt so sorry for them (pensioners) that they stored their stuff on the van for free over the weekend. They stayed in a hotel for the weekend and then raised HELL on the monday.

We tend to move on any day except a Friday, Mondays are good as you have the weekend to do last minute packing and then you take the rest of the week off to unpack grin

Although this doesn't apply to me as I a sahm so generally unpack admist chaos of children trying to "help"

ouchitreallyhurts Fri 14-Aug-09 09:34:39

we moved on a thursday and had completed by 12 lunchtime.
our removal costs were slightly cheaper too because we didnt' go for the 'traditional' friday move. it also meant the children were at school/nursery the friday and I could keep unpacking & cleaning.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Fri 14-Aug-09 13:19:23

Not Friday, ime. Very popular day for moving so removal firms get booked up. Might not be so much of an issue in today's climate though.

petalpower Fri 14-Aug-09 14:44:03

Fridays still seem to be really busy at the moment. We have just exchanged today on a house and the removal company are really booked up for the next few weeks. Everyone seems to be moving before the children go back to school!

lal123 Fri 14-Aug-09 14:58:13

I can't remember what day we moved! I'd day not a Friday if possible, because if things go wrong folk tend to have gone home early on a Friday and you can't sort it out til the Monday.

FuckOffDailyMail Thu 20-Aug-09 18:43:12

Definitely agree on avoiding a Friday. More expensive and super-stressful if the chain moves slowly and the bank transactins don't look like they're going to all go through by close of business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now