Talk

Advanced search

How much in SE for...

(10 Posts)
HouseHunting Wed 12-Aug-09 14:10:16

Ok, have seen ahouse but it needs total remodernisation

Would you think £50k is enough for:

entire house re-wired (not sure it needs it yet but looking at the worst case scenario

kitchen re-fitted with granite worktop

utility re-fitted with granite worktop

d/s cloakroom re-fitted

upstairs bathroom re-fitted

redecoration throughout (hallway/stairway/landing, 3 reception rooms, kitchen, cloakroom, utility, 3 double bedrooms & bathroom)

floor tiles in kitchen, utility, cloakroom & bathroom

expensive amitico or wood in 3 reception rooms & hallway

3 double bedrooms & staircase/landing carpeted

Would you think we could do all of this on £50k in the SE? As you can see, most of it is cosmetic & I have no idea if it needs to be re-wired

Thanks

GrapefruitMoon Wed 12-Aug-09 14:20:44

I think it should be enough - the only thing I would have reservations about is the rewiring - only because I had to have some electrical work don a couple of years ago in an extension and it seemed to have got very expensive in comparison to when we'd had the whole house rewired a few years before...

What about the central heating or is that ok?

You should also allow for replastering all the walls if you do need to rewire (or just if you are stripping off wallpaper in an old house!)

How about getting a local builder in to give you an estimate for all the building work?

somewhathorrified Wed 12-Aug-09 14:25:03

Given the current economic climate I'd say you could do this easily, you may need to get bartering and researching/sourcing for the cheapest options...but def doable.

frogthistle Wed 12-Aug-09 14:26:50

Hmmm, I'm in SE.

entire house re-wired *including making good chasing, c£8k*

kitchen re-fitted with granite worktop *cost plus fitting*

utility re-fitted with granite worktop same

d/s cloakroom re-fitted *c.£4-5k per bathroom depending on size & quality of fittings*

upstairs bathroom re-fitted *see above*

redecoration throughout (hallway/stairway/landing, 3 reception rooms, kitchen, cloakroom, utility, 3 double bedrooms & bathroom) *Here I don't know, maybe £3k for paint & time, i.e. no expensive wallpaper?*

floor tiles in kitchen, utility, cloakroom & bathroom *have assumed this in bathroom refit, would assume 3 days for kitchen/utility at £100/£200 per day for good tiler*

expensive amitico or wood in 3 reception rooms & hallway *no idea, sorry but fitting laminate locally costs between £10 & £15 p m2*

3 double bedrooms & staircase/landing carpeted *depends on cost of carpets, fitting much cheaper than laminate/wood*

You could probably do it. Depends where you are in SE, i.e. if you live in Esher/Chobham, costs of fitting will be higher. Might need to choose nice but not thrilling fittings in bathrooms/compromise on carpets to fit in budget.

Just MHO though, HTH

HouseHunting Wed 12-Aug-09 14:36:56

Thanks all. I think we may be able to do it, we have friends who can recommend builders/plummers & they are v.reasonable. All depends if we can get the house & for a price we can afford to do the work! DH should get a bonus in Jan/Feb so if we could not afford to do all of the work at first we should be able to finish it off then.

HouseHunting Wed 12-Aug-09 14:38:37

GFM I hadn't thought about the heating system blush will check it out when we go back for a 2nd viewing. Will try & get a builder to come with us. Cheers

GrapefruitMoon Wed 12-Aug-09 16:18:39

If you can afford to I would get all the big jobs like rewiring, central heating, bathrooms done in one go - basically anything that involves taking up floorboards or knocking holes in walls. We did our house piecemeal and the floorboards were taken up so often that the carpets never really fitted properly afterwards. Plus we ended up knocking down walls that had only been replastered a few years before hmm.

Decorating and flooring can be done later...

HerHonesty Wed 12-Aug-09 20:07:45

definitely doable if you shop around for fixtures fittings granite etc.

what are your walls like?

HouseHunting Fri 14-Aug-09 21:32:33

Had a 2nd viewing today & are putting in an offer tomorrow. Eek! Please keep your fingers crossed for us!

rebl Sun 16-Aug-09 09:02:50

Good luck. Sounds exciting smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now