Talk

Advanced search

somewhat trivial boundary issue- possibly just a rant!

(12 Posts)
pistachio Mon 10-Aug-09 09:13:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoseyHelen Mon 10-Aug-09 09:24:06

Tell her to replace the fence and take hazardous materials i.e.garden waste out of the reach of your children.

If she's not prepared to replace the fence she should shut up! I don't think you can dig your heels in if she starts uprooting bushes on land that is technically hers.

LIZS Mon 10-Aug-09 09:24:33

Whose fence is it, you should never make assumptions about ownership and responsibiltiy for boundaries ? The deeds should clarify exactly whose it is and where it falls. She can do what she chooses within her land if it is her boundary but she may not be able to take away your property without causing unnecessary ill feeling or have to pay if it is yours to maintain. Why don't you just offer to move it (assuming it is your responsibility) after all you acknowledge she is in the right.

MrsBadger Mon 10-Aug-09 09:32:25

I'd be tempted to check the deeds and erect your own (possibly small & temporary) fence along the actual boundary

then she can do what she likes with her bit and your kids can't get at her rubbish

K999 Mon 10-Aug-09 10:02:55

Check your deeds. I would get it sorted asap if I were you. Boundary disputes can be a nightmare. Why dont you put up your own fence along your boudary?

pistachio Mon 10-Aug-09 12:18:11

LIZS Mon 10-Aug-09 12:51:08

I'd suggest you speak to her and agree a date by which you will remove the shrubs to your side of the boundary. The fence can either be left or reinstated in its correct position by whoever is actually responsible for the boundary. Maybe your neighbour feels she's dropped hints and given you time to act but as the fence and shrubs aren't hers per se she didn't have the right to do anything herself. It may not have been done amicably in the first place and you've inherited their feelings towards your predecessor.

jeanjeannie Mon 10-Aug-09 15:02:34

I wouldn't let it continue as these things have a nasty habit of blowing out of all proportion.

I'd second what mrsbadger said - check the deeds and then do your own litte fence. Personally, I'd talk to her - plans in hand and take some nice cake too - that always softens the neighbours....especially if they're a bit eccentric smile

NoseyHelen Mon 10-Aug-09 16:08:26

BTW - how wide is this strip of land - just being nosey!

pistachio Mon 10-Aug-09 19:54:34

NoseyHelen Mon 10-Aug-09 22:45:14

I think the best bet is to put your own fence up. Perhaps you could oen up with a bit of trellis to climb creapers on to aid the privacy situation.

Fizzylemonade Mon 10-Aug-09 23:01:05

I would direct you to www.gardenlaw.co.uk where they have a boundaries forum for you to post on.

They have solicitors post on there (no disrespect to anyone on here) grin so it will give you an idea of where you stand legally etc.

Bear in mind that if she replaces the fence and pays for it, then it is hers, you can't paint it/stain it/attach anything to it.

It maybe not be a problem now but if you got a new neighbour then they could make you remove anything you have grown up it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now