Talk

Advanced search

Anybody ever had problems with white tiles going grey after tiling or grout going yellow?!

(5 Posts)
DaisymooSteiner Sun 09-Aug-09 10:37:26

Had some white satin bathroom tiles fitted yesterday. They looked fine as they came out of the box but once up on the wall lots of them started looking a sort of blue/grey colour, some all over and some more around the edges. It looked to me as though the tiles were absorbing water from the adhesive and we hoped this would dry out in time, although it did look pretty bad, particularly after it had been grouted. This morning the grouting has started to turn yellow round the edges and the whole thing looks really awful.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there anything we can do to fix it? If not, who's to blame - the tile manufacturer or the tiler? The tiler said he hadn't seen tiles do this in 12 years...

I'm so fed up and pissed off - we have had SO many problems with this blardy room with bath not fitting, then being cracked and now this. We've had no usable shower for 3 weeks now angry

sazm Sun 09-Aug-09 14:06:44

if the tiler has been doing his job for 12yrs surely he knows what the problem is???

my grout is a bit yellow,but its been up for about 8 yrs,

i wouldnt have thought there was a problem with the tile manufacturer as that woulndt explain the grout going yellow,

snice Sun 09-Aug-09 14:17:55

Some tiles require you to use white adhesive -we had some glass mosaic type-otherwise they will look dirty. It is a lot more expensive than the usual grey stuff. Perhaps your tiles are transluscent and the adhesive he has used is showing through?

DaisymooSteiner Sun 09-Aug-09 14:33:20

Well, the tiler says he's never come across it before, so doesn't know what's causing it.

We've actually put up two different types of tile - the white ones and then a glass mosaic border. There's no yellowing on the grout around the mosaic tiles, just around the white tiles which is what makes me think it is the tiles rather than the grout or adhesive. I'm guessing that as the back of the tiles dry, they are leaching colour into the grout.

Also, I've tried wetting the backs of some of our left over tiles and they go bluey grey too.

I've got a nasty feeling though that we're going to end up being caught between the tiler and the manufacturer, with each blaming the other while we're left with a weird looking tiled wall sad

domesticslattern Sun 09-Aug-09 21:47:18

Could you use this to whiten up the grout?

grout pen- like tippex!

Worked wonders in my bathroom on discoloured grout- also, strangely addictive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now