Talk

Advanced search

So just how much does it cost to "do up" a house

(16 Posts)
UniS Sat 08-Aug-09 22:02:46

any one care to share ball park figures for having a 3 bed house (Stone built) re-wired? also new carpets / flooring throughout and a new kitchen. we saw a house for sale that is a lot of house for the money but in need of a lot of work.

Goober Sat 08-Aug-09 22:04:02

£50,000

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 08-Aug-09 22:07:47

£30K

Swedes Sat 08-Aug-09 22:11:51

It depends on how much the house is worth. Where it is. And whether you want to live in it or sell it on for some profit.

UniS Sat 08-Aug-09 22:36:04

I want to live in it for a number of years to come. the area is popular and attractive tho the house is not particularity attractive. also has a section 157 on it, so can only be sold to locals which is why its a lot of house for the money. ( we are local) in South West england.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 08-Aug-09 22:39:19

We have been quoted £10k from B&Q for a large kitchen 8m of cupboards plus granite worksurface and then a 2m island.

Carpet/flooring probably £5k depending on the standard of carpet, rewiring as DH says is just pulling through new cable so not stupid money.

Get lots of quotes.

Swedes Sat 08-Aug-09 22:43:39

You could make a perfectly respectable job of rewiring, reflooring, new kitchen and new bathroom for £20K. But you have to be v organised and v v disciplined. I reckon every time you change your mind about something minor, the extra cost from your builder is £1K. grin

I'm guessing the wiring might be expensive because they might need to chase the stone walls?

beanstalk Sun 09-Aug-09 07:49:18

We are doing up a house and are doing the following for 30k: reroofing, replacing boiler, damp-proofing, new kitchen, new bathroom and installing downstairs wc. Rewiring is straightforward if the house has conduits, more complicated if not. So I would guess between 2-5k depending. We have been quoted 2k for replacing all floorboards downstairs to our 3 bed Victorian house and 1.5k for carpetting upstairs (admittedly cheap carpet at £10 per sq m). Plus around £2k for tiling kitchen and bathroom floors with underfloor heating. So £5k-ish for flooring whole house. Our new kitchen is 5k supplied inc appliances and £1.5k fitting. We would have spent a lot more if we could but our budget is stopping us, I would have loved corian worktops for example but have gone for laminate to save money.

Hope that helps!

EldonAve Sun 09-Aug-09 08:01:27

rewire 10K
carpets/floors 8-15K
kitchen 10-20K

Swedes Sun 09-Aug-09 15:25:54

Fivegomadindorset - You could have a handmade kitchen for that sort of money. I have over 9m of handbuilt/hanmdpainted cupboards (no wall cupboards) with solid oak lined drawers (with the latest German soft closing technology) and it cost about £7K (including Blanco sink and taps). I think my grantie worksurfaces cost a further 3K as it was a lot of worksurface and I chose an expensive granite.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 09-Aug-09 15:26:51

£177K of you are the poor person on the channel 4 programme having a house make over!

Where did you get that from Swedes???!!!! <jumps up and down> Best quote I've had for painted units is £9000 and I don't have 9m (about 5m and an island)! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHhhhhhhhhhh, where from, where from??!!

cat64 Sun 09-Aug-09 16:27:45

Message withdrawn

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 09-Aug-09 17:05:16

We were quoted Swedes but have not accepted.

Swedes Sun 09-Aug-09 20:25:09

TheLibrarianIsNotAMonkey A local cabinet maker in Herts - if you want to CAT me I'll give you the details.

Oh, I don't have CAT. Would you mind emailing me on maddiebean@hotmail.co.uk, then I could reply to you. Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now