Talk

Advanced search

Sash windows- the good and the bad, advice needed

(5 Posts)
purepurple Sat 08-Aug-09 12:49:38

We have seen a house that I want.
It is an Edwardian with lots of original features, including sash windows.
I have no idea of their condition but am I mad for even considering buying it?
Will it be cold?
difficult to heat?
Will the windows be expensive to restore?
Any experiences?

ihatethecold Sat 08-Aug-09 13:55:56

yes they look lovely but they can be draughty. ours dont hold in any heat but thats the difference between older and newer houses.
no you are not mad for thinking of buying it. have a good look at the windows, try to open them all and if some look like they need attention then get a quote for them. its not a showstopper..

Joolsiam Sat 08-Aug-09 14:16:37

I'm in an old Victorian house and adore it, despite it not being as shiny and clean as a new build - yes, the sash windows are draughty but I live with them because I love them, especially with the old glass that refracts the light and causes indoor rainbows

Older houses are cool anyway because of the thicker walls - a real plus in the summer - when people are complaining about not sleeping in the heat, I have no problem !! The downside is that sash windows are not double glazed and, because they are wooden, need to be maintained regularly so the wood doesn't rot.

there are some really good companies around that do sash window restoration - worth getting quotes to include the draught proofing system that they can build in.

Alternatively, you can get PVC sash windows now, so they will look similar to others in the street but be double glazed etc - check on conservation requirements before going down that road though.

yomellamoHelly Sat 08-Aug-09 14:42:10

We're in a Victorian house and had our windows restored last year. It cost us a couple of thousand so far less than new ones §but still not an insignificant amount of money and of course they needed decorating after. They hadn't been well maintained in the past it seems and a couple of sashes had to be replaced and various parts of frames. They're not perfect now (though you'd never guess - is between us and the carpenter), but should last another 15 years - so it won't be our problem. I think the issue is more about finding someone qualified to do it.

purepurple Sat 08-Aug-09 15:04:32

thanks
we have a friend who is a joiner and who can probably look at them for us
I love the house, it has lovely leaded, coloured bay winows in 3 of the rooms and sash in the rest.
The house seems well looked after, just needs updating.
I am keen to stop a builder buying it and splitting it intoo flats.
It is so obviously a family home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now