Talk

Advanced search

AAAAAARGH Another disaster - this time radiator leaking, urgent advice needed

(12 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 08-Aug-09 10:01:12

Another loft saga I am afraid.

We had a wall removed for the stairs and a radiator was taken out, and for some reason the thermostat/connection was left there).

This morning we woke to find the floorboards around the area soaking. Cannot get to the flat below (not in) to see how bad it is, but its spread quite wide on floorboards, so i guess its not mild. The plumber has connected the radiator upstairs in the new loft, and I am presuming its been leaking since, without our knowledge.

DH just run the tap, no hot water, and our boiler is not working, 'low pressure', or rather 'no pressure' ! We cannot get hold of the builder to call his plumber to sort it, and our own plumber is on holiday so we cannot call him.

What should I do? If I get out an emergency plumber I am guessing I charge the builder/plumber for it as it is clearly their fault?

How long do I leave it for builder to get back to me before we get some-one else out? Also should I turn off the boiler completely?

Why oh why do these things happen to us, and at the bloody weekend? angry

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 08-Aug-09 10:10:19

HELP?
Call an emergency plumber or wait? We had big bloody plans today as well . grrr.

CyradisTheSeer Sat 08-Aug-09 10:12:03

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 08-Aug-09 10:15:05

No emergency cover for plumbing alas. We did not see the point as we have our own plumber. Bloody typical eh? We did have it, but due to cost cutting, we felt that as we have never had to use it, and we needed to cut back expenses, we would be sensible and remove this. A new boiler, nothing would go wrong would it? Course not, not to us. I am kicking myself very bloody hard.

Have a bowl under the connecter, but tbh not sure how much use that is, its a drip drip running down the pipe type of leak rather than a gushing leak so its missing the bowl and sliding down the connecting pipe.

I am so annoyed.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 08-Aug-09 10:34:16

No plumbers that we vaguely know are available, on holiday or busy. I don't want to just call some random bloke from yellow pages. We are talking to our plumber on phone although he is on holiday and e is talking through something with DH.

He might be able to swing in. And he is likely to charge a lot. The builder of course will be charged and he will spit a dummy about it. I am already having a disagreement with him. I have, to be honest, had enough of it all. No wonder people leave jobs half done

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 08-Aug-09 10:37:08

And now, on advice of a telephone conversation the boiler is hammering, and whining, and won't stop, and its a fucking disaster.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 08-Aug-09 10:47:45

grin.

Our builder has just earned himself the money i moaned about him charging last time we needed him.

He has just given DH a short plumbing lesson over the telephone. DH has taken some pipes apart, released some water/pressure etc, put pipes back on, with the plumber at the other end of the phone. Bloody result.

So now the boiler is working.

The plumber who did the work did not cap the radiator connector. So I am guessing we can gaffer tape it to stop the leak. DH did not ask our plumber on the phone, even though I kept asking him to ask him, so I think we will just do it.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 08-Aug-09 10:48:47

Not that anyone gives a toss here on MN, apart from cyrad, obviously the sun is out and people are either busy in the sun or would much prefer to comment on something more biting grin

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 08-Aug-09 10:49:13

OK I say builder earnt the money, I mean the plumber. The plumber earnt the money. The builder, not a chance!

CyradisTheSeer Sat 08-Aug-09 12:14:08

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 08-Oct-09 10:31:00

just bumping to bring back into my threads so I can print it later! Don't bother to respond people!

Sixer Sat 10-Oct-09 00:28:06

you must contact your local water authority and report the plumbers work. They will chase him up, also WRAS (water regs), these people are there to protect you, and any good plumber will be registered with WRAS. The local water authority might also send someone out to check the plumbers work! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now