Talk

Advanced search

should i put a bed in the third bedroom to sell the house?

(30 Posts)
icedgemsrock Thu 06-Aug-09 18:29:32

The estate agent has advised me to get a single bed for the third bedroom or just get boxes and plaster board with a duvet on so it looks like a bed.
I think it looks more spacious without.
what would you all advise?
My room is big and has a double bed, the next room is big and has my ds's cot
third room is what I would call a box room and would fit a single bed in.

Mintyy Thu 06-Aug-09 18:33:57

They always do it on the property programmes.

GrapefruitMoon Thu 06-Aug-09 18:35:47

Yes, otherwise people will wonder if you could fit a bed in - unless you have it kitted out as an office

LIZS Thu 06-Aug-09 18:36:00

I think so , if only to demonstrate it can take a bed. How about a fold out one so you can atke it with you easily.

DidEinsteinsMum Thu 06-Aug-09 18:36:53

they say buyers have no imagination and need to see what they are getting. Thus putting bed in will help buyers visualism that a bed would fit in and how much room there is. box rooms are hard to gauge wrt space and beds.

noddyholder Thu 06-Aug-09 18:38:28

I would put the cot in the box room and a double bed in the baby's room.Then you are showing 2 doubles and a study/nursery.

trixymalixy Thu 06-Aug-09 18:51:20

Yes, people have trouble visualising spaces.

When I sold my first flat, i had a double in the smallest room, but no bed in the biggest. people didn't believe that the bigger room was actually bigger!

dinkystinky Thu 06-Aug-09 18:53:20

Agree with noddyholder - put the cot in the small room and double bed in the baby's room.

icedgemsrock Thu 06-Aug-09 19:17:08

Damn - not the answers I wanted!
But you are all in agreement - so I will go with you all.

I was just trying to save myself the hassle of either borrowing a bed or making one up.

A friend said she could lend me a camp bed but won't it be lower down than a normal bed and look odd?
Never thought of putting the cot in the small room, only problem is I have black out blinds in his room and not in the small room.

noddyholder Thu 06-Aug-09 19:22:21

Don't put a camp bed in a room that could hold a double!Buy one second hand and put the baby's cot in the little room for viewings and back in to the darker room for sleeping.Otherwise it will look like a double a nursery and a box room that can only take a camp bed!

GrapefruitMoon Thu 06-Aug-09 19:28:49

Look for a double on Freecycle?

girlsyearapart Thu 06-Aug-09 19:31:41

Yes was also going to say put the cot in the smallest room. Put doubles in rooms which fit them in and choose plain ish light colour duvet sets. People have limited imagination!
Someone you know may lend you a bed? If you are on facebook you could ask on your status or something?

dinkystinky Thu 06-Aug-09 19:40:54

Take a look in freecycle or in your local paper for beds being sold for v little cash for a second double bed.

icedgemsrock Thu 06-Aug-09 20:01:34

I couldn't keep moving the cot from room to room it won't fit through, struggled to get it from my room to his.

msled Thu 06-Aug-09 23:14:33

A friend of mine does property developing and she does what your estate agent suggested - makes a 'bed' out of boxes and then puts sheets, pillows, duvet etc on top. It's very convincing. Buyers have NO imagination. You really do have to spell it out.
A cute baby room does capture people's imagination too - if you have the right buyer...

Mins Thu 06-Aug-09 23:19:12

We did this recently and it did work - we sold within a week (although this also could have been down to a change of EA). I think it's true that buyers (well, some anyway!) have no imagination. We had a 3rd bedroom which my son used as a playroom - put a bed in there and hey presto! I did try and get something free on freecycle but no luck (it's also a problem to collect unless you have a large car or van) -ended up buying a small single which we then tried to sell before we moved with no luck so my son is now using! Would definitely do it though.

lowrib Thu 06-Aug-09 23:47:21

Yup, but it only needs to be the cheapest bed ever (2nd hand? Freecycle?) with maybe a nice bedspread on it.

lowrib Thu 06-Aug-09 23:53:45

No, definitely a nice bedspread!

toja555 Fri 07-Aug-09 09:03:08

What is going on here? (I'd like to swear)
To buy a bed only to show off? I would not do this in principle. I think it is very silly, and people, please take a meter when you go for the viewing!

HerHonesty Fri 07-Aug-09 09:06:30

yes. if it is a bedroom, make it look like one. sorry but people can be a bit dim with space stuff sometimes.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Fri 07-Aug-09 09:19:41

We did this in our last house (cheap as chips Ikea bed and mattress, nice duvet cover), as advised by an estate agent. It actually made the room look bigger, to my surprise, and more like a useable room.

lowrib Fri 07-Aug-09 13:09:40

toja555 it's not about showing off. It's about helping people with little imagination see how big a room is, so they are more likely to buy your house.

maggievirgo Fri 07-Aug-09 13:15:40

agree with this

"I think so , if only to demonstrate it can take a bed. How about a fold out one so you can atke it with you easily. "

people aren't very good at visualising things. I once at a double bed up on high legs, with a desk and small chest and wardrobe and chair underneath, it was great. Meant that there was no furniture in the room except the bed, and I thought it was great but the estate agent looked at it, and said, "lose that monster".

CMOTdibbler Fri 07-Aug-09 13:16:48

Def put a double in if the room is big enough. Peoples minds will register - one double, one single and a box room, not the two doubles and a single which you have.

Post a Wanted on Freecycle - if you were in my area you could have my pine double which looks lovely - until you see the broken side rail (hidden under duvet). Am sure there would be other people with beds they just haven't taken to the tip yet.

Stick a bin bag over the window in the small room to black it out - very quick with masking tape to just whip it off for viewings.

First impressions are all in selling a house

LIZS Fri 07-Aug-09 13:17:12

I think the term "show off" was being used in the sense of it being put on show rather than for use. It is more about demonstrating how rooms can be used, as especially in particulars and photos a small dimensioned room without a bed may raise questions about its suitability as a proper single bedroom. Unfortunately a lot of prospective purchasers cannot see past the way it is presented.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now