Talk

Advanced search

Any views on ecofriendly heating systems?

(4 Posts)
jennymac Wed 05-Aug-09 13:32:15

We are going to be building a new house next year and are thinking about more eco-friendly heating systems. Are considering the geothermal heat pump - does anyone have one and how is it working out?

GrendelsMum Wed 05-Aug-09 13:38:50

My in-laws are about to install a ground-source in their new build - they're very excited about it. We'd go for one like a shot if we could have underfloor heating (listed building).

jennymac Wed 05-Aug-09 13:46:33

It does seem like a good idea - costly at the start but should pay for itself after a while. Also considering a biomass boiler. Do you know if your in-laws got a government grant towards the installation costs of their ground-source.

GrendelsMum Wed 05-Aug-09 13:58:25

Hmm - not as far as I know, but I'm not sure they would have looked for one, not being that sort of people.

My neighbours have a wood pellet boiler in their new build ecohouse, and it's great fun, although I don't think it's any cheaper than oil. You need a big place to store all the wood pellets.

People keep telling me that air-source heat pumps are a practical lower cost way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now