Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know Ramsbottom or surrounding area?

(21 Posts)
CloudDragon Tue 04-Aug-09 19:47:25

Hi we are thinking of moving out of Manchester to Ramsbottom.

Anyone got any tips such as:

1. Nice areas to live (but not too expensive as we have £170,000 max.)
2. Good schools
3. And other areas nearby that are good.
4. and if you would recommend it as a place to live with small and not so small children

tia smile

CloudDragon Tue 04-Aug-09 21:21:57

anyone?

CloudDragon Tue 04-Aug-09 21:37:35

no one then!

CloudDragon Wed 05-Aug-09 21:31:17

poopscoop Wed 05-Aug-09 21:33:00

Is that near the town of Catsarse?

grin

bumping for you.

stubbyfingers Wed 05-Aug-09 21:35:18

I know Rammy a bit... lived in the next village until about 15 years ago so my knowledge is a bit out of date!

What are you looking for?

stubbyfingers Wed 05-Aug-09 21:36:26

Sorry I meant, do you need to be near the motorway, or do you like it quiet etc?

Ceebee74 Wed 05-Aug-09 21:41:55

I live quite close to it but not near enough to know much about the area/schools etc.

Sorry - but bumping for you. There is another regular poster who lives very very near Ramsbottom but I won't name her in case she doesn't want people to know....but she might see the thread smile

stubbyfingers Wed 05-Aug-09 22:08:06

Ok, I'll just wade in with what I (think) I know.

Ramsbottom has become quite desirable - a couple of new nice bars, a fabulous award winning restaurant (and other nice ones) delis, farmers markets etc. Lovely little town within 5 mins of motorway north and south, makes it desirable for commuters to Manc/Bolton/Blackburn/Preston/Lancaster etc

Don't know about primary schools.

Woodhey High used to be good but may have slipped a bit.

Other nice places, but less buzzing and less connected:

Holcombe Brook - close enough to Rammy but cheaper. A few essential shops, nowt spesh.
Greenmount - lovely and leafy but felt a bit out of it as a teenager! no dog poo on the pavements [Smile]. Primary school used to be good. Safe.
Tottington - closer to Bury so more connected to Manc. Nice in parts, pretty safe. Again Tottington High School used to be good but may have slipped.
Walshaw - even closer to Bury, and perhaps a bit out of it as not on main public transport links.

Summerseat - very pretty and crap for public transport. it's very close to the motorway though and has become a bit of a ratrun at peak times.

Holcombe - gorgeous. Very out of it and more countryfied (for round here) but I'm guessing it's dear.

Helmshore and Haslingdon - lovely and creeping into Rawtenstall now. Not sure about prices but I think there's some good schools up there.

I suppose it depends what your priorities are. You could get a 3 or four bed house in somewhere like Prestwhich or Whitefield with 170k, but you'd have to compromise up Rammy way. In Rammy/HolcombeBrook/Greenmount the pretty victorian houses are more expensive, but there's loads of 60's/70's/80's housing estates which are great for younger kids to make friends and play out.

CloudDragon Wed 05-Aug-09 22:10:43

Thanks all for the replies/bumping! We had a look today and it is lovely, though it seems very very quiet!

Are there things to do there with young ones?

stubbyfingers Wed 05-Aug-09 22:13:48

how old?

CloudDragon Wed 05-Aug-09 22:14:53

2, 3 and ttc at the mo!

also DSS who is 13 comes some weekends.

stubbyfingers Wed 05-Aug-09 22:20:28

I think it's a great place for little ones. There's the usual tumbletots, baby music classes etc and a soft play place in Haslingdon - 10 mins from Ramsbottom in the car. Apart from that when I'm up there visiting, I do notice that I don't have to dodge the dog poo with the pram!

It feels quite safe up there with less graffitti etc.

As a teenager I did wish we lived closer to Manc, but it was lovely growing up there. I would love to live there with my little ones but we're still quite keen on having easy access to town so not made that step yet.

stubbyfingers Wed 05-Aug-09 22:20:49

BTW, which areas are you considering?

CloudDragon Wed 05-Aug-09 22:35:37

stubby - we were looking at Ramsbottom itself , or maybe stubbins but know little about the other areas.

As a teenager did you manage to get out to Manchester and tram/taxi it back or am I being over optimistic!

CloudDragon Wed 05-Aug-09 22:37:30

stubby - I missed your huge post!!! thanks for all the info that is just brilliant.

stubbyfingers Wed 05-Aug-09 22:46:10

getting to Manc is fine during the day on bus and tram - takes about 25 mins on bus to Bury then 25 mins on tram plus waiting times.

It was a big deal to have a night out in town - it would be at least 30 quid in a taxi from Manc to Rammy, possibly more. trams stop 11ish on weekdays and 1ish on weekends. Buses used to stop at 11 from Bury to Rammy and are probably not dissimilar now. We used to have to make sure our taxi was full to split the big fare!

It is a lovely area to bring up a family, as long as you like to stay local or drive/provide a tax service for your kids!

CloudDragon Thu 06-Aug-09 10:21:10

cheers stubby, the teenage thing will be tricky, but I guess there is also an issue with being a taxi service in Manchester until they are pretty old as it isn't very child friendly!

Honeymum Sun 09-Aug-09 23:08:29

I lived there for a while the year before last. Whilst it's close to Manchester (13 miles I think) the reality of the M66 is that it's not quick to get to. Especially in rush hour. So, if you are thinking of working in Manchester you might want to think again. I was brought up in Wigan and you can get to Manchester quicker (by train), than from Ramsbottom. Public transport is a bit crap. Also, I thought that property was quite £££ for what you got. Not many houses in Ramsbottom itself have gardens...unless you choose the modern ones on the way to Holcombe Brook, which aren't really in the village. The shops were nice, but maybe more for daytrippers than locals...The butchers was good though and there are two or three supermarkets. Bury is a bit depressing though and the reality is that you'll spend more time shopping there than heading into Manchester... As for schools, St Josephs RC was ours - outstanding OFSTED. Holcombe Brook Primary was nice (had a look round it), St Andrews CE is good and Summerseat Primary. Don't know what the one in Stubbins is like.
I'm not sounding very positive am I? It is a lovely place, very pretty and close to lovely countryside, but I am a bit dyed in the wool city girl and it didn't suit me, but don't let me put you off.

stubbyfingers Sun 09-Aug-09 23:36:37

<sorry to hijack CloudDragon>

Honeymum, have you seen this thread about Ramsbottom? Someone is looking for local knowledge, but I don't know the street. Might you be able to help?

Honeymum Tue 11-Aug-09 22:14:50

I don't recall that area at all, sorry I can't help. Hx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now