Talk

Advanced search

Wooden (engineered)FLoor with wet under floor heating

(41 Posts)
TDiddy Tue 04-Aug-09 18:48:19

Sorry about the overlap with previous thread of mine, but wanted to know if anyone actually has wooden floor with (wet) underfloor heating. Some of the advice says not to as wood is an insulator. Some of the "experts" that I spoke to says it works fine as long as you don't expect to create a sudden blast in heat.

Would be grateful for your experience/insight

fanjolina Tue 04-Aug-09 20:06:05

We looked into this as I really wanted a wood or an engineered wood floor. The room we were looking to put it into is big - 7m x 8m - and every expert we spoke to said it wouldn't be sufficient to heat it, and would need to be supplemented by radiators.

So in the end I had to make a choice between type of flooring or type of heating......and chose tiles instead, with wet underfloor heating

TDiddy Tue 04-Aug-09 20:11:59

thanks. And how are you finding tiles + wet underfloor (running) costwise if you don't mind me asking. The rooms aren't quite as large as yours but that info is useful to know.

missingtheaction Tue 04-Aug-09 20:13:49

i had a screed floor with engineered wood over it. Was brilliant - but not the same as a retrofitted joist wooden floor. my suppliers were great.

missingtheaction Tue 04-Aug-09 20:21:18

When I had underfloor heating throughout the house, which was about 240sq m with 5 people living in it, two working from home so heating and hot water demands high, mix of carpet, wood and tile on a scred base, two years ago, the gas bills were £40 a month. We had a brand new 93% boiler as well, but personally I thought it was dirt cheap.

TDiddy Tue 04-Aug-09 22:13:50

Hmmm missingtheaction

I am swinging back to underfloor heating with engineered wood. If anyone has had this and found that it didn't work I would be very interested to hear from them. thanks

TDiddy Wed 05-Aug-09 06:13:15

missingtheaction was you house a well insulated modern home or was it a period house without cavity walls?

TDiddy Wed 05-Aug-09 10:25:59

anyone else running underfloor heating with wooden floor in period house?

fanjolina Wed 05-Aug-09 15:14:35

No idea what the bills are like TDiddy blush

But the underfloor heating with tiles not only heats that room so well, it also heats the 3 rooms on the floor above so we never have to put the heating on in them.

TDiddy Wed 05-Aug-09 16:09:33

Fanjolina- many thanks. We are going for tiles (Edwardian style) in the hallway only and engineered wood otherwise. Now leaning heavily towards underfloor heating with insulation under it to reduce heat loss to the ground...unless someone comes along and says definitely doesn't work for them.

can I call you Queen Fanjolina by the way? grand rooms and no idea of the bill?!! smile

fanjolina Thu 06-Aug-09 09:21:59

Ha ha Queen Fanjolina I am not! We just made downstairs into one large open plan area and I am useless with money so DP deals with that!

TDiddy Sat 08-Aug-09 09:57:06

Anyone out there who is running wet underfloor heating under engineered wood?

YesImSinister Sat 08-Aug-09 20:12:41

No. We looked into it, but every reputable outlet advised us against it.

TDiddy Sat 08-Aug-09 20:31:28

Because of the wood being an insulator or because of warping of wood?

womblingalong Sat 08-Aug-09 20:35:05

we have electric underfloor heating and an engineered floor and it costs a packet! I think wet heating would be cheaper, but would alos supplement with another heating source if poss, especially if you have a large open plan space and lots of glass.

YesImSinister Sat 08-Aug-09 22:51:19

Because of wood being an insulator, TDiddy

TDiddy Sat 08-Aug-09 23:07:37

thanks womblingalong and YesImSinister. We are planning wet underfloor heating with tiles in the hall way but engineered wooden floor elsewhere, with fires in the reception rooms.

womblingalong - ignoring costs, is the room warm enough? We are hoping to do away with radiators but still open to advice from anyone who has it. We have decided against electric underfloor heating. thanks again

TDiddy Sun 09-Aug-09 19:50:18

bump...looking for someone who has wet underfoor heating under engineered wooden floor....interested to know whether it does or doesn't work for you.

katiestar Sun 09-Aug-09 22:12:21

Some friends of ours put wet underfloor heating all through their downstairs and had an engineered wood floor in the lounge diner.The boards started to warp and 'pop up'
I'm not sure whjat they did about it - it involved taking the floor up again though.The flooring they used was in wide planks though and I have heard that narrow ones are better. DH knows more about it - will ask him exactly what the problem was , when he gets home.

katiestar Sun 09-Aug-09 22:13:31

They don't have any other heat source and the room seems warm enough though

wilbur Sun 09-Aug-09 22:19:17

We have wet underfloor heating in a Victorian house using engineered wooden floor in the living room and porcelain tiles in kitchen. It is marked how much better the tiles conduct heat, but the whole system works very well and we are pleased with the lower bills we have had the last two winters. It did take us a bit of time tinkering with thermostats (there is a sep one for the underfloor heating alone) to get the right balance in the house, but it is good now. Also, the wood floor is still looking good, hasn't warped or split apart in any way - we have 10cm wide walnut planks. The floor we have it on is the raised ground floor, so there are rooms below which also seem to benefit slightly from the heat.

wilbur Sun 09-Aug-09 22:21:04

Just read a couple of your other qs. We have no radiators and room can be boiling if we want it. When we first had it put in, we had friends round and some were sitting on the floor wondering why their bums were roasting.

TDiddy Mon 10-Aug-09 06:06:46

katiestar and wilbur - many thanks for your posts. THis is very helpful. Sorry to ask more questions but would be very grateful to know the name of the wood used for the situations yo outlined.

wilbur- we are planning tiles in the hall way as well so that will mean nice warm entrance. Will eventually do the same for the kitchen in phase 2 of the refurb in a few years time.

TDiddy Mon 10-Aug-09 13:14:57

wilbur - I am assuming that you have a suspended wooden floor i.e. joists below as opposed to solid concrete? thanks again

wilbur Mon 10-Aug-09 14:14:51

Tdiddy - yes the floor is suspended on wooden joists, but a lightweight concrete screed has been laid between the joists in the living area. In the kitchen, we were really ripping things apart, so that has a whole new concrete floor supported by steel joists so it's very effective.

Will ask dh about the name of the wood. I seem to remember we got it from a v helpful merchant in Forest Hill/Catford area of S London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now