Talk

Advanced search

HELP! Need ideas of good areas to live in close to London and quick!

(23 Posts)
Amberc Tue 04-Aug-09 14:27:03

We have sold our flat and need to find a new property. Want a detatched house in a town with good shops and a train to London which takes 30 mins or under. Good schools nearby. Er..would it be awful to say middle class? We have looked at Chislehurst and Beckenham but there really isn't much on the market. Happy to look anywhere - we have no ties. Please help!!!

randomtask Tue 04-Aug-09 15:19:29

How big a house?

Sevenoaks, Tunbridge Wells and Farnham are all about the 30 min train journey mark and are all good for shopping, nice houses and definitely middle class!!

ComeOVeneer Tue 04-Aug-09 15:21:51

Budget?

smallwhitecat Tue 04-Aug-09 15:24:20

Message withdrawn

PortAndLemon Tue 04-Aug-09 15:26:11

Which bit of London do you need to get into (which mainline station is nearest)? Because if your train line takes you into the wrong side of London for work it can take longer to get across London than it did to get in.

St Albans is good for the Citylink line, Sevenoaks or Tunbridge Wells good in the SE (does depend on budget, though, as they are not cheap).

ComeOVeneer Tue 04-Aug-09 15:26:25

Around this area (Esher, Thames Ditton, Surbiton) good trains into Waterloo, very middle class. Good shopping in Kingston, near Bushy Park, Hampton court and Richmond Park. Good schools state, private and grammar.

Amberc Tue 04-Aug-09 16:20:22

Thanks everyone. Ideally would be Waterloo or Charing X. I work 3 days a week finishing at 5 and nurseries close at 6 so that's why I need the short train journey. We are looking for a 4/5 bed detatched house with a fairly decent budget c. £1m. I had a look at Kingston and I don't think we could afford it (would like to be near the shops and walking distance from a train). I think I'm asking too much!

SecretNinjaChipmunk Tue 04-Aug-09 16:26:52

i grew up in kingston and live in surbiton, i reckon you could get what you want here pretty easily in your budget, you just need to know where to look. surbiton has faster trains than kingston btw, and is easy to walk to kingston by the thames.

randomtask Tue 04-Aug-09 16:30:19

You could get what you wanted in Sevenoaks (or T Wells) for that budget and probably quite close to the station (town is a 10 min walk from station). There are also nurseries close to the station which helps.

It's 30 mins from Waterloo and 35 from Charing Cross.

PortAndLemon Tue 04-Aug-09 16:50:05

Sevenoaks or Tunbridge Wells do sound like very good options if that's your budget.

These in Tunbridge Wells are all inside your budget and within half a mile of the station:

Calverley Park Gardens
Molynaux Park Road
Madeira Park
Linden Gardens
Warwick Park

<enjoys fantasy house shopping with someone else's money>

PortAndLemon Tue 04-Aug-09 16:53:59

Or this in Sevenoaks about a third of a mile from the station (doesn't seem to be so much choice there, and personally I'd prefer Tunbridge Wells to Sevenoaks if you want to live actually in town (there are some lovely villages near Sevenoaks, though, if you were more of a village person)).

<tries to ger YMCA out of her head>

ComeOVeneer Tue 04-Aug-09 17:32:55

thames ditton

Hinchley Wood - we were looking at buying this one, its lovely less than 5 mins walk from station, trains into Waterloo.

goldenpeach Wed 05-Aug-09 00:20:17

Leighton Buzzard? Nice little town, 30 mins to London. We were originally looking there but too small for us, perfectly close to London though. Nice NCT branch.

Unconventional Wed 05-Aug-09 02:32:25

Kingston upon Thames has all you need. Trains to Waterloo in 25 minutes. Riverside, parks, great schools, lovely Victorian houses. I love it here. Very middle class ( in north Kingston).

Amberc Wed 05-Aug-09 09:09:59

I certainly do like the look of Kingston. I think we will go and have a look around this weekend. Thanks everyone - wow Mumsnet is fecking brilliant!!

SecretNinjaChipmunk Wed 05-Aug-09 09:18:15

let us know if you need any advice on local areas. we only bought our flat in 07 although i know the area v well since i was a kid, have loads of links to local estate agents if you decide you want them?

Essie3 Wed 05-Aug-09 15:43:05

Kingston is a great area - it has a John Lewis and a Heal's so I think we can safely say it's middle class. wink
Second what everyone says - great houses, good transport links, lovely shopping, and you're close to the countryside but not in a remote village. I think it gives you the best of both worlds.

It's also only 20 minutes from Tooting, which is another plus point. grin

stripes200 Wed 05-Aug-09 15:50:40

St Albans.

No more need be said on the matter. wink

stripes200 Thu 06-Aug-09 14:14:59

Look at that- Nobody did say anymore...

notnigella Sun 08-Nov-09 21:28:47

amberc, if you are still lurking would be interested to see where you ended up? we are thinking of moving to sevenoaks but want to move to the right part with good schools etc...

cece Sun 08-Nov-09 21:32:45

Woking or Guildford

bran Sun 08-Nov-09 21:45:44

What about a bit further in? Greenwich, Blackheath or Dulwich are all good for schools I think.

cece Sun 08-Nov-09 21:54:53

7bedrooms

this is a lovely road

big rooms by the look of it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now