Advanced search

How to handle issues raised in the survey

(9 Posts)
NorkyButNice Tue 04-Aug-09 14:10:25

We've just received our full buildings survey for the house we're in the process of buying.

It's an old house so there are a few issues that we should expect to have to fix in normal maintenance (I'm not too worried about these).

What I'm not sure on is there are a couple of things where they've recommended we get a specialist in to confirm their findings (damp specialist and plumber). Is it normal to have to get further people in? Are they just saying this to cover their backs?

First time buyer and feeling completely out of my depth!

lalalonglegs Tue 04-Aug-09 14:13:35

They're covering themselves. I do wonder why we bother with surveys at all since now all they say is "Possible signs of xxx - get in a specialist".

LIZS Tue 04-Aug-09 14:14:43

They do cover themselves to an extent but if they feel it could affect the value of the property and incur significant unexpected costs , it is worth the extra £100's to get a specialist as it could save you £1000's longer term. Once better informed you codul decide whether you need to renegotiate the price to factor such things in or if you can do them over time and at roughly what cost.

randomtask Tue 04-Aug-09 14:15:44

It would be wise to get further people in and I think it's normal. I'm a first time buyer and we got an electrician in to check if our system needed updating.

If you don't get them in and you discover it's a big problem later on, you'll have already bought the property. If you find out now, you could get the price down or change your mind.

If I was you, I'd speak to the solicitor. You could request that the people selling to you pay half or something.

Good luck, I've spent the last month or so feeling out of my depth but thankfully things are improving now!

GrendelsMum Tue 04-Aug-09 14:33:46

Be careful with who you get in for the damp survey, if you decide to have one. Do a bit of research on the web about rising damp first!

MadameCastafiore Tue 04-Aug-09 14:36:30

If you go and ask your solicitor/estate agent to ask the vendor they may have had people look at things and have guarantees in place that can be transferred toyou for a small fee or they may have written reports or invoises for work that they have paid for which will set your mindat rest.

NorkyButNice Tue 04-Aug-09 14:37:54

OK...more money to be spent then...

I am finding this whole experience so stressful! Why us there no idiots guide to house-buying?

randomtask Tue 04-Aug-09 15:17:18

We borrowed the Which guide to moving house from the library which was very handy. Would highly recommend it. Most of it is common sense but when you're stressed anyway, I felt it was calming to read the book and know I was doing things right!!

Umlellala Tue 04-Aug-09 18:58:58

If it says 'we can see signs of xxx - get a specialist', I would.

If it says 'we can see no signs of xx but it is likely in a house of this age - get a specialist, I wouldn't.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: