Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do 'Searches' take place before or after exchange of contracts??

(6 Posts)
faraday Tue 04-Aug-09 10:58:32

A fundamental question- but I can't get my solicitor to return my calls so I shall consult the MN community!

I am confused because MY reading of a few different 'how to buy a house' sites seem to give conflicting advice.

We are keen to deadline our vendors re exchange BUT we can't presumably til a) we have their inclusions/exclusions list AND b) the searches have been done?

That would seem most logical otherwise you are finalising an offer based on incomplete facts, aren't you?

mumblechum Tue 04-Aug-09 10:59:09

Before

LIZS Tue 04-Aug-09 11:06:34

Definitely before in case issues show up requiring further investigation. Exchange of contracts is a commitment to complete on a specific date. Everything has to be in place before exchange can take place including the finances, check on title and your buildings insurance. btw as your vendors are now buying themselves they may want to wait for a simoultaneous exchange up the chain unless they have somewhere to store/live short term if completion dates don't coincide.

somewhathorrified Tue 04-Aug-09 11:36:06

Before!!! Once you exchange you are committed to buy..if something comes up in the searches you may want to pull out. If your solicitor is not returning your calls I'd seriously consider getting rid of them, if you don't want to, turn up on their doorstep and insist that they talk to you. You are paying them to provide a service!

HerHonesty Tue 04-Aug-09 12:01:41

before. you exchange when ALL issues have been sorted out and have agreed completion date.

faraday Tue 04-Aug-09 13:46:54

Well, that's what I thought! I think the place I got that info from was just badly written and essentially said just that but in a manner that implied the other!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now