Talk

Advanced search

Painting plaster and new wood for the first time. What paint?

(24 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 04-Aug-09 09:26:18

I am going to be painting the new loft conversion this weekend.

1. what do i prime the plaster with first? I have heard that I can use watered down emulsion as a base first then paint straight over it when dry.

2. What do I need to prime the wood with first/do I even need to? I am presuming I need a proper wood primer/undercoat?

Also, i have some wooden skirting tha needs painting which is already painted (old hallway) can I just paint with gloss straight over it? (same colour, just needs freshening).

I obviously want easy cheap and convenient, who doesn't? But I also want quality finish, with that being key as its a new room.

lilymolly Tue 04-Aug-09 09:30:45

not sure about wood, but def aint plaster with watered down white emulsion for at least 2 coats. the white paint can be a cheap version as it will eventually be painted over with the colour you choose

chimchar Tue 04-Aug-09 09:33:51

my plasterer told me just yesterday that you can seal plaster with pva glue, and just roller it on.... we'll be painting in just a few weeks...[excited!]

not sure about the wood though..i think you can buy a specific undercoat which is matt, and then you gloss over that.

hth

Fayrazzled Tue 04-Aug-09 09:35:58

Agree with lilymolly, I have had extensive experience of painting new plaster this year! Is the plaster definitely dry? You need to make sure it is before you start. For your first coat use watered down cheap emulsion: perhaps 20% water. It will go on very patchily and you will think you are doing the wrong thing- you are not. The plaster will soak it up. Then do another coat perhaps 10% watered down. Just use cheap MATT emulsion for these coats in plain white. (DO NOT use a vinyl or satin type finish- must be MATT!)Then do your top coats-you may need up to 3 coats.

The new wood you need to prime, then undercoat, then do your topcoats. But you can buy "primer and undercoat" for wood in one- you can use that but I would still give it two basecoats.

For the wood that's already glossed- give it a good clean, then lightly sand it and clean again. then you can just put on a fresh coat of gloss.

Hope that helps. I have done so much painting this year that I never want to look at another paintbrush or roller again!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 04-Aug-09 09:36:10

Sorry, the aint bit, you did mean paint didn't you? grin I hope so or else it didn't make sense!

I am glad you agreed witht the emulsion, it was our builders who told me! Not that I am mistrusting or anything wink but Mners know everything grin

wingandprayer Tue 04-Aug-09 09:36:42

If it's new plaster I think you need to use a vinyl free emulsion as well. Usually stuff seals it so it can't fully dry out properly and may go mouldy.

There's loads of them about, and the paint machines can also mix vinyl free stuff too.

Fayrazzled Tue 04-Aug-09 09:37:41

chimchar, I think the PVA glue advice is old fashioned now. We were told definitely NOT to do this. The watered down emulsion has worked very well for us and given a great finish. Plus it's much easier than messing about with glue.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 04-Aug-09 09:42:06

Oh good, thats really useful info there fay, especially the proportions. I would be posting again asking that otherwise nearer the time!

Plaster is definitely dry, been finished for several weeks (or most of it has) I just cannot get up to it as the stairs not in yet! They go in today, so there will be some fresh plaster that will need leaving, on the staircase walls, but I can do that a bit later on once all the rest has been done.

lill interesting about the PVA glue. Apparantly the plasterer used PVA glue in some capacity when he plastered our chiney breast a couple of weeks ago? DH said something about him putting in on with pva glue? wonder what thats all about. So you just roller on the glue, then when dry paint over? Can you buy big tubs of the glue?

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 04-Aug-09 09:44:03

ok, so it needs to be:

white
watered down (20% then 10%)
Matt only
vinyl free
(cheap!)

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 04-Aug-09 09:48:17

oh how exciting!

And also, you might not know this, but for the wood, am I allowed to use the undercoat/primer/gloass myself at 24 wks pg, with a mask and good ventilation or am I going to have to let DH do it?

lilymolly Tue 04-Aug-09 09:55:23

yes i meant PAINT smile

also do make sure the plaster is dry before you paint, it should be a grey colour NOT red

lilymolly Tue 04-Aug-09 09:56:35

we have never PVA btw, and we have has almost every room in the house plastered over the last few years. We have however PVA Before plastering the walls so it sticks to the bare plaster boards, so maybe therein lies the confusion?

frostyfingers Tue 04-Aug-09 09:59:11

The wood primer/undercoat I used was water based. However, the question is "do you want to do it?" Cos if not, you have the perfect excuse!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 04-Aug-09 09:59:35

lilly - yes, thats what our plasterer did, apparantly, pva's the walls first.

Walls are a vague pink/grey, we have watched the chimney go from being very red, to patchy red, to pink, to grey/pink!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 04-Aug-09 10:01:11

frosty - yes I do want to do it. DHs eye for detail anal perfection is not as good as mine, and I have a steadier hand than him, and better concentration, he gets bored after half hour, I will keep going until the section I planned on is finished (pre-pg, all of the first coat, currently will do in stages)

chimchar Tue 04-Aug-09 10:47:08

i stand corrected! wink

will double check the pva advice with blokey with he comes back tomorrow!

goldenpeach Wed 05-Aug-09 18:02:42

For wood, do prime it, they sell lots of primers, it makes a huge difference and you need less paint to have flawless finish

trixymalixy Wed 05-Aug-09 21:23:44

Whatever you do remember to cover any knots in the wood with knotting solution before priming.

We forgot and are now having to repaint.

geordieminx Wed 05-Aug-09 21:27:10

Quick hijack - Trixy - how the devil are you??? Ready to drop yet?

trixymalixy Wed 05-Aug-09 22:27:54

3 days overdue geordie and getting fed up, but our en-suite isn't anywhere near finished nearly 3 weeks after it was started (supposed to take 9 days angry). Midwife reckons the adrenaline is stopping me going into labour as baby has been engaged for over 2 weeks now and she was predicting I'd go early.

<<hijack over>>

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 06-Aug-09 15:16:05

trixie thank you for the advice about knotting - I would not {or knot hahaha) have done that, so that will save me a lot of time!

but angry the stairs are still not in, and I am thinking this weekend might not be a painting weekend ! I am so annoyed, I wanted them in by now so I can start! They are half in, there has been some major complications, ie they don't fit, and the builder is having to undo stuff to redo it all again, so will be another day at least.

But, soon enough!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 06-Aug-09 15:16:32

Oh and good luck trixy hope it all goes well for you!

trixymalixy Fri 07-Aug-09 16:54:08

Cheers pavlov!

Had a show today so hopefully not too much longer!!

It's so frustrating when workmen take longer than you think!

geordieminx Fri 07-Aug-09 19:17:16

Oooh keep us informed... via facebook... with pictures, and a name... if possible... grin wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now