Talk

Advanced search

Can a rented property be sold on? I would say yes but friend says No!

(11 Posts)
Yurtgirl Mon 03-Aug-09 19:41:25

This is a property/rental question - legal stuff so I may be better asking on the legal threads, found property first though so Ill try my luck here!

If a house is owned by a landlord and rented out to a tenant, can said house then be sold by landlord and lived in by new owners?
Does it depend on the type of tenancy?
And whether house is occupied by tenant when house is for sale/sold?

A friend has told me a rented house cannot be sold on to a private owner to live in - I need to know if this is true

Can any of you property/legal experts help?

TIA

mrsjammi Mon 03-Aug-09 19:43:59

Message withdrawn

kormachameleon Mon 03-Aug-09 19:44:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 03-Aug-09 19:49:43

As others have said - yes it can but your tenancy will still run until notice is served (usually 2 months notice to end no earlier than tenancy end date).

Tidey Mon 03-Aug-09 19:50:51

It happened to someone I know a few years back when the house prices were really high. She got settled in a rented house and then she was given notice that it was being sold and she had to find somewhere else.

expatinscotland Mon 03-Aug-09 19:52:47

A privately rented home can always be sold out for a private owner to live in so long as the tenant is on short-assured tenancy or in his/her notice period (by which the landlord only needs to serve them their 60 days notice).

That's why private renting is so insecure.

There's no assured tenancy when you're privately renting.

expatinscotland Mon 03-Aug-09 19:54:10

it happens all the time. there're no end of threads on here involving people it's happened to.

and plenty more who were in a rented home that was being repossessed because the owner failed to pay the mortgage (now a common cause of homelessness and threatened homelessness).

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 03-Aug-09 19:54:35

It can certainly be sold. Whether the tenant can easily be evicted or not depends on the type of tenancy they have. Most of them are short hold these days with renewal every six months and the tenant has no right to stay on after the term ends. A 'sitting tenant' is usually someone with an old style tenancy which grants the tenant more rights.

Yurtgirl Mon 03-Aug-09 20:26:45

Well thats what I thought!
Not what I wanted to hear though
Oh well

expatinscotland Mon 03-Aug-09 20:36:09

there was a thread on here not too long ago from someone who had NO idea her landlord wasn't paying the mortgage until the repossession order dropped through her letterbox!

expatinscotland Mon 03-Aug-09 20:37:08

and another one just last month from someone who found a great place to rent, got settled in, and 4 months later, the gal started the process to evict them so her son could live in the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now