Talk

Advanced search

If you had packers in when you moved house...

(29 Posts)
HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 14:05:18

.. how much did you do before they turned up?

Ours are coming on Wednesday, and I've got Tuesday off with no ds. Shall I spend it watching telly, mnetting and eating biscuits or should I be doing something to prepare for the packers?

midnightexpress Sun 02-Aug-09 14:10:40

We had them, and I took the DSs to the seaside and ate ice cream for the day. Twas fab.

My only advice would be to chuck out rubbish as they really will just swoop round packing every last thing - we ended up unwrapping half tins of baked beans from the fridge and broken bits and bobs that we'd stuck in a drawer instead of filing straight in the bin.

That, and keep a box of stuff that you'll need as soon as you get there - kettle, teabags/wine/washing up/cleaning stuff, maybe sleeping gear if youy have young DCs.

We ordered a tesco delivery for the afternoon of our arrival which was fab. Saved us having to worry about it. Oh and a pizza/curry for the first evening.

Good luck!

IotasCat Sun 02-Aug-09 14:11:16

Mine did everything

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 14:13:38

Thanks midnight.

I think they want me to be there, or at least nearby, when they're packing.

I suppose I ought to show a little willing and sort out some of the junk we've accumulated and we have no intention of taking with us.

We're actually not moving in to our new home for another couple of months so we're keeping out some clothes and essentials. Everything else is going in to storage.

midnightexpress Sun 02-Aug-09 14:24:14

Oh yes, I left DP around for reference and skedaddled.

Paolosgirl Sun 02-Aug-09 14:29:50

We packed up our personal stuff at their request, and left everything else for them - which meant my underwear and jewellry. It was the best £200 ever spent.

stuffitlllama Sun 02-Aug-09 14:34:39

If you pack some of the boxes yourselves you might not be covered by their insurance. Ask them before you start packing!

stuffitlllama Sun 02-Aug-09 14:35:33

and midnight is quite right.. they will pack rubbish bins full of rubbish, honest

Blu Sun 02-Aug-09 14:36:28

We have had packers twice.

I would pack a small 'immediate needs' bag for the day of moving and the next morning, and a box with kettle, teabags, mugs, the last cleaning materials you will need to clean behind the removal team, and anything you need straight away at new house. Pet bowls or whatever.

I think i did pack my underwear, very personal items and valuables of sentimental value, and took them with me in the car.

A paking service is GREAT!

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 14:47:54

Thing is, I won't have any packing boxes until they arrive as they're bringing everything with them... shall I just ask for a box for my undies etc and pack them when they're here.

As all our stuff is going in to storage and we're house sitting at my sisters for a month or so, I won't need cleaning stuff and kettle etc, as we'll have my sisters. I do want to make sure they don't pack all our clothes as we'll need some for the next couple of months!

GrendelsMum Sun 02-Aug-09 16:11:42

One key tip

LABEL the box with the tea, milk, mugs, lunchtime sandwiches, etc.

If you don't, suddenly that gets packed as well.

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 17:22:53

Grendelsmum, we're putting everything in storage so I won't need to keep the kettle out or anything else... I wonder if that means I'll need to pack everything we're keeping out (ie our clothes and toiletries) the night before. From the sounds of it, the packers tend to be rather rampant once they get started, and I guess I don't want them to be packing all our clothes as we'll have nothing to wear for 8 weeks blush

Mybox Sun 02-Aug-09 17:24:44

Just be super organized & have no junk as they will pack everything.

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 17:27:59

I'm now having visions of me ending up packed up in a giant box if I stand still too long!

Blu Sun 02-Aug-09 19:42:25

Oh, they do it REALLY fast.
Definitely pack everything you don't want in stirage.In suitcases or something. You won't need more than a binliner or box from the supermarket for your undies, surely?
Are you cleaning the house before you leave it?

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 20:02:35

Oh I will Blu... don't want to be left wrapped in bubblewrap!!! I'm going to pack a suitcase (or three) with our stuff. I was going to hoover after all the stuff was out and run around with a damp cloth to get rid of any dust. Nothing major, it doesn't really need it.

CMOTdibbler Sun 02-Aug-09 20:41:47

Hide everything you don't want packed in the car, or at someone elses house. Otherwise they will pack it !

Move1 with packers Dh sat in the garden in a deckchair, move2 with packers I just cleaned behind them

JackieNo Sun 02-Aug-09 20:47:22

It was the unpacking that got to us - we'd find a large parcel, carefully unwrap at least 5 layers of paper to find....a wooden spoon hmm. We speculated that maybe they really hated us grin.

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 20:50:40

jackie!! We're paying for an unpacking service too and as they claim to be a green moving company they take away all packaging material and recycle it so hopefully we'll avoid the shipping crate for a spoon type scenario!

JackieNo Sun 02-Aug-09 20:52:48

Very wise to have an unpacking service! The removals people took some of the boxes away, but we had some boxes and paper sitting around in the garage for years, then I think we passed them on to someone else who was moving. HOpe it all goes well smile.

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 20:54:36

Thanks

Owls Sun 02-Aug-09 22:55:31

Ooh great idea the unpacking service. Yes can reiterate anything you do not want packed and want left behind, i.e. central heating/boiler instructions, etc., strap them to your person while the packers are there or label them in triplicate "DO NOT PACK". Otherwise they WILL pack them. I know believe me. smile

Good luck with the move!

ABetaDad Sun 02-Aug-09 23:09:35

We had packers on Thursday/Friday last week. They work very fast so make sure you pack away everything you need.

We did a lot of pre packing and rearranging things to make sure everything was in the right rooms in the old house that needed to coe out of the boxes in the right place in the new house. We also did a lot of disposal of things we did not need and sorting papers into filing boxes as we work at home.

We have had packers before and we know that when they delivered the goods we did not know whih boxes things were that we needed and everything ended up in the wrong room and took ages to sort out.

frostyfingers Mon 03-Aug-09 11:51:44

We had packers for the first time, and they do whizz round picking up everything they find unless you're careful! They were doing it over two days, and at the end of day one I had to stop them from removing chairs, table and beds - it didn't occur to them that we might need them. I think they switch into their "must pack everything" mode, and leave any other sensible thoughts behind.

That said, they were brilliant, and I'd do it again, even if we did find a few things in odd places. When we got to new house, they kindly cleared out the crap left by previous owner, including the attic, which was really good of them

But boy did they drink gallons and gallons of tea - I couldn't do anything else but refill the kettle!

Good luck with your move.

Poledra Mon 03-Aug-09 12:04:28

We had packers the last time - it was fab! I packed our underwear and personal bits (jewellery etc) into suitcases, which they then moved for us. Otherwise, we made sure we got rid of things we didn't want (not enough - DH is a hoarder!) then stayed out of their way.

And yes, they drink gallons of tea with loads of sugar, and loads of chocolate biscuits. And are dead skinny too envy. Mind you, I don;t think they stopped moving evergrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now