Talk

Advanced search

role of estate agent once solicitors are involved?

(8 Posts)
oilandwater Fri 31-Jul-09 13:53:03

We are buying a flat. We have not exchanged yet, will soon. Buyers' and Sellers' Solicitors have been communicating with eachother and trying to tie up loose ends in order to exchange.

What is the role of the estate agent at this point? As far as I'm concerned the solicitors are handling everying but the estate agent keeps calling me (1x or 2x a day) asking for updates and trying to speed things up, even though it's mostly out of my hands now.

Shouldn't the estate agent step aside at this point and leave it to the sellers' solicitor to close the deal or is this the way it's done? I feel like there are too many hands in the pot (estate agent's hands, in particular). I've essentilly told him to stop calling me and let communications go through the solicitors. Was I right is an agent expected to stay involved like this?

DLI Fri 31-Jul-09 19:26:30

once solicitors are instructed there is nothing for the estate agent to do but hassle you. they want the sale done quickly so that they get paid. i had the same when i bought my first house but you did right with telling them to speak to your solicitor. buying a house is stressful enough without them hassling you.

nickytwotimes Fri 31-Jul-09 19:30:17

Yep, EA should be sitting back now and waiting for their big fat fee on completion.
They need only get involved again if the sale fell through which sounds (thankfully!) very unlikely.
Good luck. We are mid-move too. Our sale was completed weeks ago but our purchase is ongoing. GOing fine though.

Leeka Fri 31-Jul-09 19:49:03

As an ex-estate agent, I disagree. The role once a sale is agreed is not to hassle you at all, but to be an intermediary between all parties who is able to talk to all involved and keep things on track.

Each solicitor is only working for, and talking to, their own client, whereas an estate agent has a vested interest in keeping both sides happy, so is ideally placed to negotiate any difficulties that may arise.

A solicitor tends to speak to their own client, and only fax and write to the solicitor of the other side, a good estate will be speaking to all parties, ie. buyers, sellers and both sets of solicitors, as well as the mortgage company and any financial advisors, to ensure that everything is going to plan, forestall any problems, ensure that what everyone wants to happen is happening, and generally keep things smooth.

There are loads of examples I could give, where the whole deal, including the chain above and below, would have fallen through if we hadn't done this. However, calling every day is silly and annoying, unless there are major problems - once a week or so is fine, so tell your estate agent to bugger off! grin

hocuspontas Fri 31-Jul-09 19:50:22

We had solicitors who never spoke to each other. Without the EA liaisoning and following up queries the process would have taken months longer. It's the only time I felt like they really earned their fee!

nickytwotimes Fri 31-Jul-09 19:52:40

Well, our EA wasn't seen for dust after our offer was agreed.
Suuited me! grin

cat64 Fri 31-Jul-09 19:56:00

Message withdrawn

LIZS Fri 31-Jul-09 20:07:24

They don't really have one, just chasing their commission by trying to ensure it happens. Probably talk to you rather than a solicitor as you may be more accessible. They can liaise diretcly between you and seller as regards things like organising a survey , when and whether vendor or EA need to allow access.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now