Talk

Advanced search

Tiling, have you tried it?

(7 Posts)
MagNacarta Tue 28-Jul-09 20:24:26

Our kitchen needs a splashback which includes a window sill, it's been like this for years and I've had enough. Am I completely mad attempting to do it myself? If I do it what kind of tiles are easier/effective/look fab? Or shall I just wait another five years?

caykon Tue 28-Jul-09 20:26:18

I did our bathroom as dh was busy laying flooring. it wasnt to bad use big tiles they are less fiddly and get a good tile cutter it makes it easier. Try to plan it so you cut as few a tiles as possible

nickytwotimes Tue 28-Jul-09 20:27:02

I did it.
My first job was a splashback.
It is fairly straightrward, so worth a go.
I used plain white tiles as they worked with my colour scheme.
Google it for a guide or use a DIY book. I used the Readers' Digest DIY Book, a gift from my Nonna, I hasten to add! grin

missingthemountains Tue 28-Jul-09 20:33:54

go for it but make life easier for yourself and get tiles which are exactly the same width as the window sill - therefore less cutting and a neater edge.

good luck smile

MagNacarta Tue 28-Jul-09 20:56:41

ah good idea missing, but won't get away without having to cut at some point. Will have a google and see what I come up with.

randomtask Wed 29-Jul-09 13:00:05

My Dad reckons, always use bigger tiles and never ever use mosaics. Even his tiler friends won't touch them as the water/dirt gets into the grout and it's ruined quicker.

thehairybabysmum Wed 29-Jul-09 13:14:13

Yes, i have done 2 bathrooms and a kitchen splashback.

Get an electric tile cutter, about £30 but well worth it, use the plastic edging stuff here for any corners as gives a better finish.

Be methodical and dont start form the bottom up. Put up a baton and start form that. Im sure there must be a useful website somewhere. here

We have a basic DIY book, i think it is a doring kingsley one that gave me instructions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now