Talk

Advanced search

Clutter free worktop that you see in magazines....

(24 Posts)
navyeyelasH Mon 27-Jul-09 12:19:54

Where do they put the kettle and the toaster?

I don't want anything on my worktops; is this an impossible dream? Pulling the toaster in and out of a cupboard for eg would be too much effort as would grilling toast. Ca you get toasters that go in units hmm

I supose for the kettle they fork out for that crazy boiling water on demand tap?

MarthaFarquhar Mon 27-Jul-09 12:20:45

Don't know about kettle, but I've never had a toaster. Use grill instead.

GrendelsMum Mon 27-Jul-09 12:23:40

You're supposed to have tambour shutters that pull down to conceal the toaster and kettle.

http://www.csfkaccessoryshop.co.uk/tambour-door-kits-c-113_261.html

but in real life people tend to leave their shutters pulled up all the time , so your toaster and kettle are equally visible.

also in magazines, they can just hide anything they want to in a cupboard!

Platesmasher Mon 27-Jul-09 12:27:15

my kettle goes on the hob.

i think a fitted toaster would be ridiculous. just leave it on the worktop.

navyeyelasH Mon 27-Jul-09 12:30:06

I don't think it would be possible to get a fitted toaster because the heat rises etc so think it's impossible.

Grendels mum we looked at those shutter but they look so industrial. Think I have to give it up TBH - or use the grill.

MarthaFarquhar how long does it take to grill a piece of bread? I like my toast soggy and find that grilling it makes it crunchy; is there a knack?

Can't believe my life has been reduced to this!

navyeyelasH Mon 27-Jul-09 12:39:45

I don't think it would be possible to get a fitted toaster because the heat rises etc so think it's impossible.

Grendels mum we looked at those shutter but they look so industrial. Think I have to give it up TBH - or use the grill.

MarthaFarquhar how long does it take to grill a piece of bread? I like my toast soggy and find that grilling it makes it crunchy; is there a knack?

Can't believe my life has been reduced to this!

jeanjeannie Mon 27-Jul-09 17:56:47

Magazines....they're all lies, Lies I tell you!

brimfull Mon 27-Jul-09 18:06:08

I have 2 friends who put their toasters away after using....it is bizarre.
They are both anally clean freakish though.
I can't relax in their houses.

moondog Mon 27-Jul-09 18:06:57

It's realtively easy not to have clutter-don't buy or accumulate crap!

brimfull Mon 27-Jul-09 18:09:03

people give me clutter though

it is a relentless battle to fend it off

moondog Mon 27-Jul-09 18:13:03

Give it away.
Isweep through my house every 6 weeks and get rid rid rid.

I don't own very much, nor do my kids have many clothes.Once they have outgrown something, it's gorn.

A cousin oncegave me a 5 foot high purple fluffy dinosaur.It didn't even make it through my front door.

navyeyelasH Mon 27-Jul-09 18:45:35

gggirl I am also anally clean and freakish, I probably have OCD and sometimes can't face going into my kitchen if DP has taken out every pan cooked.

But putting toaster in and out of cupboard is too extreme even for me - mght go for the grill option.

Eddas Mon 27-Jul-09 19:00:05

my toaster lives in the cupboard when it's not being usedgrin and believe me I am not a clean freak! I doubt i'd ever be accused of that! We use it quite often but if it's left out there's no room when we cook.

I agree with the others, magazines tell lies, lots of them, think of all the celebs looking beautiful when most of it is airbrushing. Same is true of the kitchens, they aren't actually used so there are no appliances!

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 27-Jul-09 19:03:42

My toaster lives in a cupboard - just keep decluttering. One day you will win!

satonthesofa Mon 27-Jul-09 19:22:37

My toaster lives in the cupboard with the microwave and I have a kettle on the hob. I just keep the door open when I use them.

kif Mon 27-Jul-09 19:22:45

I think a toaster in a cupboard would be OK if there was a lot of clearance (esp at the top), and you obviously left the door open when you cooked.

Actually, I did a thread on this a while back. If I did one of those Magnet challenge thing of 'find one thing that defines your kitchen', for me it would be my slow cooker. Never see those in the glossy catalogues or magazines!

If I wasn't intending to move again (i.e. I could be as batty as my heart desired), I would get 90cm deep work tops, so that the back 30cm could be 'appliance space' with my slocker, breadmaker, steamer, espresso maker, kettle and toaster proudly lined up like the loved and appreciated members of the batterie de cuisine that they are. Then I'd either leave it be, or p'raps do some kind of screening or tambour shutter.

This would leave full 60cm in front prep space (i.e. prep directly in front of the appliance to prevent wasted trips). Another benefit is that it would be unreachable for kids. I always worry about that - most of the appliances get hot and hang around unattended (e.g. Slocker full of 5l boiling stew for 10 hours ),

The cabinets underneath would be a bit of a challenge - you;d need some decent ones with those pull out gizmos.

Now why won't someone build me one?

(p.s. I think those hot water taps are awful. You have something that looks like a normal tap ready to instantly dispense water hot enough to strip the skin off your hand lying in wait for unobservant child/inlaw/granny/visitor/au-pair. And it dispenses at 98 degrees - so not hot enough for tea. And no handy cooled boiled water for babies.)

CybilLiberty Mon 27-Jul-09 19:25:18

Don't you cupbord toaster people shed crumbs everytime you shunt your toaster back and forth?

Or have you invested in some Lakeland 'Toaster Crumb Free Transporter' that none of us know about?

I've only got to look at my 4 slicer and half a tonne of crap comes out the bottom.

navyeyelasH Tue 28-Jul-09 13:21:01

Lol @ "I've only got to look at my 4 slicer and half a tonne of crap comes out the bottom"

Same problem here that's why thought moving it around would be agro. Kif I am going to use it in the cpboard at your suggestion - if my house burns down can I blame you wink

Pollyanna Tue 28-Jul-09 13:26:30

my kitchen was once in a magazine, complete with a clutter free worktop (apart from a bowl of lemons and some flowers I think).

The answer is - its all lies i'm afraid!

They spent about a day clearing and styling everything, lighting it all, and then an hour or so taking photographs.

I am rubbish at having a clear work top, and still have a toaster and kettle as well as piles of crap.

navyeyelasH Tue 28-Jul-09 14:05:48

Ohh pollyanna, what's your kitchen like then? I've always wondered how people get into those mags - do you ring them say "ahem, my kitchen is the best come round and see?"

I know it's all a pile of rubbish that anyones house looks like that; but I still don't want any aplliances of my side! I jst spend an arm and a leg on an oak worktop and I want every part of it exposed for others to admire wink

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 28-Jul-09 14:12:01

I have a kettle on the worktop, that's all. I lift the toaster in and out (yes, crumbs go everywhere, I am sure they breed inside the toaster) whenever toast is needed. Actually, I hate toasters, I would rather that we just used the grill, but DD and DP vetoed that one.

The microwave is in a cupboard as well, and so is everything else.

I am lucky that I have loads of cupboards and drawers, yes my kitchen looks nice and minimal, but DP and DD get pissed off with me saying 'put everything away' every five minutes.

Plus, the inside of my cupboards and drawers are a hodge podge of mess and chaos (I am human).

WhenI got my new kitchen I was determined to have it looking uncluttered and minimal. I am sure I will get bored of it soon smile

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 28-Jul-09 14:48:53

I just empty the toaster over the sinnk after I use it.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 28-Jul-09 15:11:46

I think I could shake my toaster over the sink until the end of time and crumbs will still come out.

goldenpeach Tue 28-Jul-09 21:20:18

I worked for magazines, they lie by omission in many cases. I'd buy nice appliances. I am not keen on steel ones anymore as a pain to clean but enamelled ones look nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now