Talk

Advanced search

Please help me identify what type of paint this is before I get into reeeeeeeeally big trouble!

(17 Posts)
VelvetPlum Fri 24-Jul-09 18:25:39

I rent privately and am due my twice yearly inspection from estate agent.
Would be fine except that DS this morning drew some wonderful pictures for me all along a wall in the hallway (he was v proud and probably thought I was welling up out of pride).
The walls are white and when I have had to wipe marks off before the paint goes kind of chalky, it makes small marks easy to clean as really I'm just wiping off a small layer of paint iyswim?
Well these are BIG drawings. In orange crayon. I started wiping a small area but the amount of rubbing it takes is actually removing the whole layer of paint.
I've never come acroos this kind of chalky paint before - I obviously need to paint over the area now but I need to match the paint thats here as its the same throughout the entire house.
Any ideas?

VelvetPlum Fri 24-Jul-09 18:28:12

FGS - What a load of waffle.

Condensed version: What kind of paint goes chalky when wiped?

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Fri 24-Jul-09 18:28:17

it's basic emulsion hat has been watered down to make it go further.

just get a basic emulsion and go over it.but you will have to do the whole thing otherwise it will look kak-i know it happened to me once.

VelvetPlum Fri 24-Jul-09 18:36:00

Thanks, but really? the whole thing?
Bugger, bugger, bugger.

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Fri 24-Jul-09 18:38:18

yes because you will not be able to get the dilution the same so if you try to just do the damaged area it will look different and patchy

VelvetPlum Fri 24-Jul-09 18:43:00

Ah well, at least I know now. Cheers filch.

cece Fri 24-Jul-09 18:44:09

Try using toothpaste to get it off.
Disclaimer - try a small bit first!

SofiaAmes Fri 24-Jul-09 18:44:39

Depends on how long it was painted last time. Paint changes color over time, so if it was painted recently, you might get away with painting just the crayon area. However, you will want to get the crayon off before you paint it, because emulsion won't go over crayon.

VelvetPlum Fri 24-Jul-09 19:28:35

No sodding way?!
I thought, well i might have to paint but at least ican stop scrubbing the damn crayon. hmm

Going to try the toothpaste thing now. Fingers crossed.

VelvetPlum Fri 24-Jul-09 19:29:07

Was painted just before i moved in almost a yesr ago.

VelvetPlum Fri 24-Jul-09 21:05:58

No luck with the toothpaste sadly.

mejon Fri 24-Jul-09 21:32:09

Try some spray furniture polish. This should bring it off without much rubbing (well it does on most surfaces - try on a small bit first).

southeastastra Fri 24-Jul-09 21:33:50

ew could be poster paint

VelvetPlum Sat 25-Jul-09 23:13:27

Tried the polish today, did nothing on the walls but worked a treat on the doorframes.
sea - can you really decorate with poster paint? I thought that was just for painting posters pictures?

cece Sun 26-Jul-09 15:38:49

I have been thinking aabout your problem and found this

VelvetPlum Sun 26-Jul-09 20:42:21

Oh Cece - just seen this, you're bloody marvellous!
Theres quite a few suggesions on there so - please god - there'll be something that works.
Have been so dreading having to paint.
Thank you!

cece Sun 26-Jul-09 21:12:19

Good luck. Is the one about heating it with a hairdryer on that link?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now